Landlord charging tenants for radiator

I never leave valves fully open or shut. Specially when heat is involved. Always back up quarter of a turn.

4 Likes

I have to say, as a landlord, it is irritating when your tenants mess stuff up and you end up paying for it.

One of mine called to say that the heating wasn’t working. So, I dutifully called the boiler man, who came out and discovered that they had turned off a different valve to the one they turned on when they repressurised the boiler and had turned off the water to the upstairs radiators instead.

I probably would not pass the cost on first time, but it might be different if there was a repeat (luckily my boiler man didn’t charge me because he’s a very reasonable guy!).

1 Like

In this vein, one of the biggest problems I have had is when tenants don’t know how to operate the central heating system and insist it is faulty. I once paid £70 to replace the batteries in a thermostat. I did pay it but made clear to the tenant that it was their responsibility and next time they might be charged. I have had a number of other occassions where despite sending instructions and explaining, tennants still don’t seem to be able to understand that the programmer controls the heating! Usually i have eventually resolved this without a call out but it is a bit of a pain when the tenant cant be bothered to read the instructions carefully and apply.

Regarding this example, the LL is probably within his rights to charge provided a spanner was not needed to turn the valve on. If it were me I would have got them to check the valve was switched on. As mentioned, thermostatic valves can stick which is definitely a landlord responsibility.

A few tenants can be quite difficult about this type of thing. I once had a tenant threatening to call out an electrician and charging me to change lightbulbs because she couldn’t reach. Ironically it was just before she was doing a holiday let (for which she didn’t have permission) - she was anxious her sub-let tenants would have a nice holiday with all bulbs working. I went a day later than she asked and discovered her plan that way. I don’t mind a bit of give and take, but she was all take and so this and other issues resulted in a S21!

3 Likes

I recently have had 5 new boilers fitted , one at home I cannot understand the program (this is because I am not a know it all, sadly,) so at home I simply turn it on and off. My younger tenants understand it so I just leave it to them

1 Like

that must have been a stupid tenant to get in touch , not realising that you would then find out about her illegal plans

I think (and this doesn’t allow for the complicated laws quoted by Perrygrove farm) that since neither you or the LL realised it was just a valve that had been turned off and didn’t actually need a plumbers expensive visit, that the resulting bill should be split between you.
Personally, if it were my tenants, I would pay the bill as it is not worth £36 to hassle them. Especially as it can be claimed against tax so £72 becomes £61.
Of course the plumber may have charged £144 and he has already halved it.
I suggest give him/her a call say you are unhappy and talk it through, putting your case and listening to the LL’s reasoning.

What a complete Muppet… lol Never ending amusement open rent. Why should a plumber work for free… Lefty Lucy!! RIGHTY tighty!! Worked for years… just priceless

Did Google not tell you to check the valves…

Bit of cheap or silly landlord not to have home emergency cover on their landlord insurance. It’s a lot cheaper than £72 and gives both parties peace of mind and less hassle. I told my tenants to inform me, but to then contact the insurance. I don’t have to do much and they can organize the best time for them to have the plumber/electrician come round.

1 Like

Not cheap or silly - it’s a cost/benefit analysis. I’ve had insurance in the past, but find it cheaper to effectively self insure and pay as I go.

1 Like

That’ll work Im sure.

What about this?
‘9.43. At the end of the Term, to vacate the Premises and give vacant possession. The Premises and its content must at the end of the Term be in the same good and clean state of repair and decoration as the Premises was in at the commencement of the Term (fair wear and tear excepted). The tenant must pay for the repair or replacement of any items of the fixtures, fittings and appliances which have been damaged, destroyed or lost.’
I take that to mean that If I give a tenant a good working heating system when they move in, they must give me a good working system back at the end. If they damage something, or wear it out naturally, they are responsible for replacement.

In practice, Ive got a good relationship (so far, touch wood) with all my tenants and dont hestitate to help whenever. If they give me a fair proportion of their earnings during the year, small repairs are not unreasonable.

1 Like

spot on Bill. I have one longstanding older tenant who asks every now and then can I replace a light bulb “when I am passing”. No problem . Small jobs ,no issues

Tip top advice here from Stuart3 and Colin3.

Thanks Nilesh,
I’ve just got home 10:30pm on a Sunday. Tenant messaged me earlier to say that the heating and hot water were off & a low pressure error code on boiler.
Sorted in 5 minutes. Luckily the flat is only 10 minutes away.

1 Like

advantage of being local . Tho tenants can often forget how easy it is to rectify low pressure themselves

Only moved in at the beginning of the month. First place together 18 & 19 so I’m keeping them sweet.
They moved back in with parents when the bedroom radiator didn’t work first week.

@Colin3 … Unless they turn the wrong valve off afterward!!

1 Like

Then how did you miss the part about heating being the responsibility of the landlord!!