Landlords family member

Looking at renting a house that is more suitable for our family.

A few things i need help with.

Landlord said her son has keys and would be coming round to look whenever he feels like it

Landlord said her son will be using the garage and greenhouse which is within the property boundary.

What can i reply with?

Rent something else instead

Depends on the wording on the tenancy contract. There should be a definition of “the premises”, which may or may not exclude the garage or greenhouse. The landlord must make it very clear what is included in the rent. It does not necessarily have to be all that is within the property boundary. If there is shared electricity supply to the garage and greenhouse, then you need to agree how to split that.

Please note that the LL or their family cannot come round “whenever he feels like it” - this is a breach of your legal right to “quiet enjoyment”. They must notify you as the tenant, of any visits in advance, and they need your permission. The only exception to this is in the event of emergency.

I don’t think this is a promising start with this landlord… as Steve suggested, consider renting something else.

not sure if you are accurately representing what landlord said, as it simply is not allowed to drop in with no notice and you can simply tell them that is illegal and any contract has to comply with the law in this respect, but clearly it would be a massive red flag if they don’t even understand this and you should reconsider although the law is absolutely on your side. if, however, there is a garden, and the landlord will do the gardening, and this requires access via the garage and to get tools, and the greenhouse and garage are excluded from definition of the “premises”, then it could be more complicated. e.g. if it was a commercial gardening service then I assume you would be OK with them getting their tools out and potting new plants, but the problem is that it is the son doing it to save money. the question will be if the son is snooping and impacting your right to quiet enjoyment of the property.

Thanks for your replies.

I’ll start with the visits.

I don’t have any problem with any LL wanting to inspect their properties.

LL said word for word she would be visiting whenever she is in the area, and that her son lives a street away and would be popping round whenever he feels the need to do so, he also has a spare set of keys if we are not in.

The garage and greenhouse debate.

Yes these are in the boundary of the garden/house.

The son has keys for these as well, and would have access whenever he likes she said, as he uses the greenhouse for plants and his veggies?

The garage is full of their stuff, and we are not allowed to use it.

I didn’t go to see the house, my partner did, as its a small town on an island, it would be beneficial to move to this house from our current housing association house.

I feel negative already about this move, i feel we’re going to be constantly watched and have infrequent visits by the son.

She rang last night an offered us the house, i am going this afternoon to have a look as i was working, if i feel the need have my say and walk away i shall, we put up with bad neighbours for 3 years, I’m not going to be looking over my shoulder anymore.

Its clearly unnacceptable. Tell tham you cant accept those terms and be prepared to walk away.

Hi Martin, I really would avoid renting this property. You will never feel like you are able to relax. This potential landlord has already demonstrated to you that they do not understand their landlord responsibilities or tenant rights and that they still see their rental property as an extension of their own home and that they will not, and never see this as your home.

They cannot call by whenever they feel like it and let themselves in if you are not there, you are paying for exclusive use of the property and if you agree to rent it they must let you have quiet enjoyment of the property. I know someone who rented a property with a very similar arrangement to what you have described. The landlord and their family would turn up randomly and at all hours, climbing in the loft and going in the shed at night with “I just need this and that” then hang around for ages snooping about making “observations”. The family (tenants) could never relax and it never felt like home for them, they couldn’t wait to give notice and move on. The house was a former home of the landlord and their family and they just couldn’t accept it was not their home to do as they pleased with it anymore.

Is this a former residence of the potential landlord, or a former home of the landlords family member who has passed away?