Landord not returning advance rent & bond

You sent him a letter before action and the proof of returning the keys. Now take the action. He has not got a leg to stand on merely by not protecting your deposit. Commence small claims court action.

One action worth considering. Maybe contact the Deposit Protection Scheme by chat or email. Get their take on the situation. They will advise you what actions can be taken against a landlord that has not protected your deposit. And what penalties he may be liable to incur. Then use that info to persuade him to return the monies immediately or incur court action.

1 Like

If you rent via Openrent, they ensure the deposit is protected by the landlord. The landlord does not directly receive the deposit, it goes straight into the Deposit scheme where neither landlord nor tenant can retrieve it without mutual agreement.

1 Like

Hi Irene,
I’m really sorry to hear what you’ve put up with for so long - and unnecessarily!
This LL gives the rest of us a bad name!
PLEASE don’t let him get away with it! You deserve justice, your money back - AND peace of mind! Totally stressful for you - and totally unjustified/unfair on the LL’s part!
Disregard his threats and denials - bluff on his part re: key’s, etc. since he doesn’t have a leg to stand on.
I realise you posted this 5 days ago but I’ve only just received O/R’s weekly email, so you may already have taken action?
It does sound like he’s probably failed you in a few other areas of LEGAL REQUIREMENT too?
For a start, he should’ve issued you with the “How to Rent Guide” at the outset [current edition now is 7/8/19], as well as EPC, Gas Safety Certificate, Deposit Protection docs - he should’ve protected Dep. within 30 days, Sec.48 of Housing Act “Landlord’s Service Address” doc. - etc.
How to Rent Guide - tells you how to proceed with ALL issues encountered, inc’g Deposit.
I wouldn’t pay out for a solicitor -you can deal with it yourself - the law is all on your side!
You would have to take him to County Court re: the Deposit (straightforward;apply online)
Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent
It’s the Local Authority for property condition - Trading Standards Dept. Don’t let them fob you off - they should be prosecuting him under the “Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation Act) 2018” - came into force w.e.f. 20/3/19;however, since you were in an existing tenancy at the time, it isn’t effective for him until 20/3/20. Maybe he could be your L/A’s first case for exisiting tenancies?
Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/homes-fitness-for-human-habitation-act-2018/guide-for-tenants-homes-fitness-for-human-habitation-act-2018
I’d borrow the money to take him to court - will be in your interest!
N.B. Persist with your L/A - as a Law Enforcement Agency, they’ll have the power to submit a PN1 Request to Land Registry (£11 fee) - it’s a Search of the Index of Proprietor’s names - whereby, unless he’s called John Smith(:), they should pick up all the other properties he owns - and if they’re responsible enough, should investigate the others.
I really hope you bite the bullet - you’ll come out wiser and stronger - Tenants DO have rights - and power.
I don’t understand how you’re £900 in advance though? Surely, having given the required notice, why would you have paid anything more than enough to cover the last month’s rent?
Good luck with it all! Best wishes.

1 Like

Irene, brief Addendum from Sect. 7 of the How to Rent Guide:
You may be able to take your landlord to court yourself if you think the property is not fit for habitation, under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018. The court can make the landlord carry out repairs and can also make the landlord pay you compensation.

That is such a helpful reply by Sue

1 Like

I see (3rd party referral / service removed) are offering Free Advice during Covid period ?

You may not have enough money to take him to court over not putting your deposit in a scheme but you can take him to court in future (i think you have 6 years to do this). What i would do is make sure all my correspondence is sent via emails/letters. Tell him that you know that he has not secured your deposit and its illegal and say that you want your deposit back otherwise you will be forced to take legal action. Also mention that you have paid rent on time, and have proof that keys were returned. Say that although you are liable to recieve x 3 the amount of desposit if you go to court, you would just like your deposit back. This should prompt him into action. If not, then the more letters/emails you have sent trying to get the deposit back from him…the more likely when you do have some money to take him to court, the court will award you the maximum amount which is 3 times what your deposit was. They will see you made an effort to resolve the issue, you werent being greedy expecting lots more money, and he was unreasonable in not returning your money to you.

1 Like

No win, no fee right here.

Thanks so much for everyone’s help/advice. Really appreciate everyone taking time to do this
Andrew23
I tried a few ‘no win no fee’ firms, but after speaking with a couple, didn’t feel this direction for me was the best option. If it was just a case of getting advance rent and bond returned, then possibly, but as I’ll be going through the court process, as LL has been so grrr. Intend claiming for a variety of his things he’s shirked on.
The no-win/no fees didn’t want to handle anything other than getting the bond/advance rent as said it would be too complicated!!
SAM17
HI, Nothing has prompted LL into action. he denies, denies, denies. Have sent him the proof of all he owes several times, to no avail.
It’s another grrr when he completely ignores the details/proof and knows himself he has the money. Pretty sure, as he’s got away with this prior, thinks he will this time and all will just go away!
Karen
Yes, taking him to a small claims. Don’t have a choice!

Thanks for your very thoughtful and helpful message, Sue
LL did do a gas check. It was repairs, sometimes urgent he failed on; eg 10 months w/out a working gas boiler, around a year with a lot of roof tiles off (so rain naturally came through, into the kitchen and bathroom areas, leaving lots of signs!)
For 18 months tried to get him to fix the loo as it leaked (bucket under!) and made a loud growly sound when flushed.
On leaving the loo still wasn’t fixed. I even sent him a reminder message when gave tenancy notice about this and that the bucket usually had to be emptied daily

Re advance rent; this was made at start of tenancy, Sue, It was just over ÂŁ900 plus a hefty deposit/bond 5 years ago. The usual rent payment was made just before securing my new home
Thanks again for your advice, which is very helpful

Thanks again, to all who’ve relied;
I sent a letter of ‘notice to claim’ a few weeks ago & about got all docs/r’cpts/proof/pix together and printed off.
There’s a huge amount!!
I’ll be mailing all off next week, but guess it’ll take a while to reach a court case due to the pandemic

Stay safe all and thanks again x

HI Karen
Thanks for your help. Where I moved to found through OR… My previous home GT

HI Sandra
So sorry to hear of your probs x
Sure OR will help you, if you found your home through them?

As unsure of your exact situation, can’t really offer any help, other than what i’m doing personally, which is/was
Gave notice
Returned keys through RM signed/recorded delivery; so had proof keys were sent
when LL hadn’t returned my advance rent and bond, sent him a few polite reminder messages. It was then he denied having any money and wasn’t returning bond as he’d not r’cvd keys
Had no choice then, other than to send LL a 'notice to claim’letting him know intended making a small claims case against him (I also sent him all evidence of docs of rent payments/transfers/docs/pix/etc)
Now at stalemate till there’s a court case; I’m doing a small claims case for a money claims case. The address is County Court Money claims centre, PO Box 527, Salford M5 0BY
Payments works according to amount you’re claiming
Do hope all works out for you. Good wishes x

You’re welcome, Irene. Glad you’re proceeding with it!
Hope it all goes well!

KR’s, Sue

1 Like

Your new place via Openrent.

Us landlords renting our homes via Openrent, never receive your deposit in our own accounts. Openrent send your deposit direct to the Deposit Protection Scheme with details of both the landlord and tenant. Thus you have extra protection as a tenant that the landlord cannot withhold any of your deposit without absolute proof. And I’m thinking if keys were claimed as not being returned, your proof of delivery would wreck his argument and in any case he could only ever claim for the reasonable cost of the keys, or possibly replacement locks. Not the full deposit.

Tenants have added protection when renting through Openrent that they do not always get elsewhere.

hi Irene,
so sorry to hear.
As a first (no cost) write him a letter asking for details of the deposit protection.
There are some templates on shelter.org.uk, where if you are certain he did not protect the deposit, you can write saying that due to the deposit being unprotected you want your deposit returned and compensation etc.
This might scare him because if its unprotected, he hasn’t a leg to stand on.

HI Miss Adam and many thanks for taking time to reply
Way past this now as nothing ‘scared’ him, so suing LL through the courts