Where's My Deposit & Lies All Around

Ive now been trying for around a week and a half to get my deposit money back. On my certificate it clearly reads The Deposit Protection Service (DPS) yet when Ive emailed my estate agent who ran my home they claim that ’ Thankyou for your email, the TDS did have the deposit ’ Then they claimed I had a record of this…really? No I dont. Then they told me to ring the TDS back and if they again claim they dont have your money tell them you want to know who it was given to either the landlord or another deposit company. I was really confused at this request…So either way I though just do what they asked. Yet again I rang the TDS back and yet again I was iformed they have no record of my address.
So I emailed the estate agent involved back and told them they have no record just like I have no record of it being with TDS either.
I then told the estate agent I was taking action against them and contacting C.A.B. and my local MP (WHO BY THE WAY IS AMAZING )
The estate agent then claimed to have rang me but they didnt. They even have my partners number as she sometimes takes calls for me as Im heavily disabled with multi heart problems, so if Im ill she takes my calls.
By this time my stress levels were through the roof and my chest pains were getting worse & worse.
So my partner read loads of articles and it said to contact the deposits companies we had written down and ask for confirmation that my deposit money or my address was with them as proof it wasnt. Then I was going to email the estate agent with the proof that my deposit money is gone and that someone knows where it is.
Also Id like to mention, how did the estate agent know who had my money if they claim not to know whos got it?
Something is very very wrong here.
Ive also eamiled C.A.B. and my MP
All I want is my deposit money back. The appartment was left as I found it it was nice and clean & now I want my money back.
Can anyone help? Clearly someone has took my deposit money weather its the estate agent or the landlord.

Thank you for reading my dilemma

So when you ring TDS and quote the certificate number they cannot verify the deposit has ever been paid nor what has happened to it?

theres no ref number on the cert i was given, my partner has a proper cert with a ref number at the top right. Mine is nothing like hers.

asyou cn see this is all i was given 12 years ago no posh cert was ever handed to me
a

I would email the DPS so that agent can see proof.
Start making a paper trail of your enquiries.

Has agent done a check out inventory and mentioned deposit at all during this?

Get you evidence from DPS in writing, email this to agent. Advise them that you paid money direct to agent (assume you did?) and that it’s their problem not yours. They need to reimburse you regardless.

It sounds as though the agent may have made a mistake with the deposit, which opens them and/or the landlord up to a penalty claim. If you are not confident about sueing either or both of them yourself then speak to a no-win, no-fee solicitor about taking on the case.

Ive now received confirmation that none of the deposits place have my money as I started a paper trail on Friday. Ive now yet again emailed C.A.B. and now emailed my local MP who has helped me in the past with serious issues. All I want is my money back thats it and if none of the deposits places has it then either Hyde Letting & estate agents or the landlord in London has it. In this current climate I cant afford to lose all that money and Im seriously seriously poorlyt with a bad heart, registered disabled and have a defib in my chest, the stress is kicking my backside badly. As for going to a no woin no fee solicitor I cant afford a tin of baked beans never mind anything like thats not to mention the stress its causing. I could actually understand if the deposit was dealt with dodgey, but it wasnt ands clealy shows to be in a scheme. Plus Hyde have just got back toi me telling me try contacting Roamans who havent been in charge of my home for years and also theyre not the ones i paid cash to for my deposit. Not to mention if Hyde know and indications do point to the fact they do know my deposit ref number as They ve not pursude me for the hundred pound cost to clean the oven ( which by the way was cleaned by a proffessional cleaning company ) whuich shows clearly they already have the money as theyve got it from the deposit. Whats going on for God sake.

Wow it gets better and better Hyde have just told me they emailed me 2 1/2 years ago about the change in deposit money to another company. So I went into email archive and went right back to when the comapny in London who own my old appartment right up to presant day and the two & half years ago, nothing wasa sent. In fact I went trough every email Hyde sent me back from 2021 to presant day and there is no email telling me of any change. On top of that Ive requested proof it was sent. I want dates it was sent as I know 100% they never sent anything. The fact these people seem to think the general public are thick. Its vlear they took the money and put it somewhere else and faile dto inform me.

Its ended with me emailing a ‘Letter Before Claim’ to Hyde Ive repeatidly requested a copy of this em,ail telling me the new deposit comany and ref number but Hyde refused I also request proof they sent this email sept1st 2021 the refused I even looked at the estate agent Hyde are claiming changed the comany, well the contact is in front of me and all paperwork involving them No certifiate was ever sent. Now I wait then Im taking them to small claims.

There is no fee, hence being called no win no fee

Here is where i stand now, I had a rep ring Hyde directly on my behalf as Im way to ill at the moment to deal with this.
Turns out the estate agent now think the original letting agency never even put it into a proper deposit scheme.
So now Hyde are contacting the landlord and finding out whats going on and why my £450 wasnt put into a scheme and also to inform him im taking it to small claims.

The letting agency just printed a false sceme paper, signed it with DPS on the front and just stole my money.

So the agent fiddled you and the landlord ?

If that is the case and it wasnt put into a deposit scheme then you are entitled to compensation. Your deposit is supposed to be returned to you within 10 days ofyour tenancy ending. If you look on TDS on GOV.UK website it has useful information on your rights and how to claim this back
It costs £308 to take it to small claims court and if you claim is successful you can adk the lanlord for these fees back. If they only owe you £450 its will be in their best intresets to just pay it otherwise it could end up costing them a lot more with the added compensation and court costs on top. Hope you get this sorted out. This is why some agents and landlords get a bad name coz they are sneaky and conniving

If you just want your deposit back, email them to ask for it in full and youll drop the claim. I’d be surprised if you didnt have the money in your account by Friday.

2 Likes

So, first of all… Your LL is responsible for protecting the deposit.

Did you check this?

If you don’t have any money you’ll be allowed to ask the court for a reduction in court fees.

Good thing is you’ll get your money + 1-3 times the money in compensation. So a minimum of double your deposit, maximum four times your deposit. If you can prove you have paid it of course.

Sounds very sus to me, I would ask cab and if need be talk to a lawyer to take some of the stress off your shoulders

STOP.

Find a no-win, no-fee solicitor by searching online and filling in their contact form. They’ll call you and you can explain your case. You’re guaranteed one of them will take you on. If they do, you simply sit back and watch it all unfold from the comfort of your armchair (as I’m currently doing with a friend who got messed around in a not dissimilar way to you). If you win, you’re vindicated. If you don’t, then you never could but it won’t cost you a penny. These lawyers know what they’re doing. They don’t take on cases they can’t win because it would cost them. The law is clear and it’s obvious someone screwed up in your case. Slam dunk.

Forget small claims.

2 Likes

I’ve always had problems getting my deposit back from landlords not I leave the property in a state of repair or rent arrears or anything. It seems many landlords will try keep the deposit if possible thinking you will no none the better. I would inquiry in writing keeping copies of all correspondence between any parties involved if it’s not resolved speak to a lawyer.

In actual fact, if the deposit is protected in a custodial scheme, the LL can’t retain any portion of the deposit without the tenant’s approval.

1 Like