Letting property before Grant of Probate

Hi there,
I’m the Sole Executor for my late father’s Will. Can I let his empty flat while I wait for Grant of Probate?

The bank said I can’t open an Executor account (to receive rental income) until I have Grant of Probate, so that seems to make receiving funds for the Estate legally muddy…

All the EPC, Gas Safety and such was done before he passed away. I will eventually inherit the property but perhaps thats not relevant.

Many thanks for any advice from a newbie and accidental landlord…
Tom

I think that the answer is yes, that you can let it out, but I think the funds belong to the estate for the time being.

Letting property is no longer a safe pursuit for the amateur/accidental landlord. There are over 160 separate laws that apply to lettings and a simple admin error could end up costing you thousands of pounds. Unless you have the time and inclination to train to become a landlord, I would strongly suggest you either leave it empty until its sold, or seek local recommendations for a fully managed service from a local letting agent.

Duely noted; thankyou, David.

Until probate is granted , the state officially own it. For the few weeks waiting for probate its not worth the hassle, use the time to get your ducks in a row.

1 Like