New contract with existing tenant

Hi, I need to issue an existing tenant a new contract as one has moved out and another is moving in to rent with the existing tenant. For some reason my current tenant on my dashboard shows as an old tenant and the old tenant it shows as current tenant, confusing I know but that’s what my listings show on open rent!!
Due to this I can not issue a new rental agreement as it won’t let me, have asked OpenRent the question of what we do but they just don’t respond.
The tenant that is staying had paid all the deposit so that is currently held with the dps, so I don’t have any deposit to collect.
What a paperwork nightmare, any advise welcome please

Make sure the 2 existing tenants surrender the tenancy before you create a new tenancy.

You will have to deal with the deposit because it goes with the tenancy. You should probably refund and re-take it after doing a check-out inspection to assess any damage.

Dont forget to ensure all the other required paperwork is re-issued.

Sorry, cant help with the Openrent problem. I never use that service.

1 Like

I need to issue an existing tenant a new contract as one has moved out and another is moving in to rent with the existing tenant

That should be totally covered within OpenRent. There is a guide on the website when you look at your end of tenancy options, and a help article here:

For some reason my current tenant on my dashboard shows as an old tenant and the old tenant it shows as current tenant, confusing I know but that’s what my listings show on open rent!!

You can view all your tenancies here:

If you have accidentally ended the wrong tenancy, or have an older tenancy still set as active, you should be able to fix this via the site as well. I can see you’ve contacted our support team who can answer any account-specific questions on this and point you in the right direction.

have asked OpenRent the question of what we do but they just don’t respond.

Looking at your account I can see you contacted our team at 21:16:38 on 19/05/22. Our team responded at 9:40am the next morning. If you didn’t receive that response, or we’ve missed a communication from you, do let us know - worth noting our support hours at 9am-6pm Monday-Saturday.

What a paperwork nightmare, any advise welcome please

Yep - renewals can be messy, but don’t worry, our team (and the platform) is here to make it all much easier than it would be otherwise. Hopefully this is all resolved shortly with a little guidance from our support team. :slight_smile:

You should give it a go @David122 - I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

@Daz its not a straightforward renewal of the existing tenancy. Its a new tenancy because its different people. Is that also possible and free using the Rent Now system?

1 Like

Yes - as per the link above, landlords are able to add or remove tenants and guarantors as part of a renewal within Rent Now. This is all handled and explained on site, with all the guidance and steps needed to ensure it’s done legally and securely.

Landlords can also:

• Change Rental amount
  • Update Notice address
  • Adjust Break Clause
  • Amend Tenancy Length
  • Edit Custom Clauses
  • Change the day on which rent is due (This does not effect the start-date of the renewed tenancy)

There is currently no charge for renewing your tenancy, even with any of the changes discussed above.

Isn’t that open to abuse? Could I pay once and then get every new tenancy free just by changing the details?

1 Like

Well, there needs to be an existing tenant on the tenancy. It would also be quite an odd experience for your incoming tenants (there are additional steps in terms of terminating the old tenancy / agreeing to the new terms / deposit handling etc). And you’d not get any advertising, so you’d need to find the new tenants yourself.

All to avoid paying £49… I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle!

I agree. So with this facility, will all the new documents be automatically served to the both the incoming and existing tenant? Gas Safety Cert, EPC, EICR, How to Rent etc. Also, do you handle the deposit re-registration and Prescribed Infirmation or is that something the landlord has to do.

Yes - much like creating a new tenancy OpenRent will guide landlords through the entire process including automatically serving documents where possible (eg. prescribed info), and automatically handling the deposit.

Ok thanks. I just wanted to check that your system understood that a change of some of the tenants calls for a brand new tenancy or a deed of assignment between the parties and that the system either issues all the prescribed documents or at least alerts landlords that it needs to be done. Thanks for your clarifications.

1 Like