No Dogs allowed

Dogs can’t be banned in new tenancy agreements?
Is this true?

No this is not true
There is a new model tenancy agreement clause which includes consideration of pets.
In line with the Consumer Act one should not blanket ban pets, one should write that they shall be considered and consent not unreasonably withheld ( subject to T and C’s)

Unfortunately my experience with allowing dogs specifically is that the house always smells of dog when tenants leave. If I was forced to take dogs I would sell up and that’s another bunch of properties off the rental market.
No problem with most other pets.
I’ll now keep my head down and expect the opposite views.

1 Like

i totally agree with you. Now duck.

Thanks for the advice
Much appreciated

The new model tenancy is just one of many tenancies templates that are available.
There is nothing at present to stop you using another tenancy agreement which would bypass this issue.

The housing minister announced that landlords can no longer ban tenants from keeping pets out of hand.
The Model Tenancy Agreement wording says pets are allowed by default if a tenant makes a written request to keep one.
Landlords can still stop tenants from keeping pets but must offer a reasonable excuse for refusal in writing within 28 days of the tenant’s request.
Reasonable excuses would include a ban in smaller homes or flats where owning a pet might be impractical, said the minister.
Tenants would still have the responsibility of paying for repairs to any damage they may cause

Deb, my understanding is that’s only true if you use the Goverment’s model tenancy agreement, which almost no-one does.

Oh sorry… thanks for clearing that up :slightly_smiling_face: