Permitted occupier Right To Rent

If she leaves and he doesn’t then tenant is liable for the rent so it might be important to make sure permitted occupier is recognised by both parties. I wonder if something written is better than verbal in case there is a dispute.

1 Like

You could make it verbal. I think Id probably write to the tenant something along the lines of: “As discussed, I am content for you to allow Mr X Y to share the use of the property Z with you as a permitted occupier for a period of your choosing but subject to the requirement that you are also living at the property. Mr X Y will not be permitted to pay rent and will not acquire any tenancy rights.”

3 Likes

The government blurb says a tenant who isn’t named on the tenancy agreement.

If they are not named, would this make them a permitted occupier by default?

It might just be the government website wording, calling everyone tenants.

2 Likes

Anyone living at a rented property, whether tenant, licensee, lodger, permitted occupier or long term house guest needs a right to rent in the UK.

2 Likes

Is the LL liable if any tenant moves someone in who hasnt been checked, and how could the LL control this, you cant stop people from moving lovers ect in

1 Like

If the landlord knows about it and permits it, it could still be a criminal act.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.