Reclaiming vacant rent arrears property

Hi,
My Tenant is more than 2 months in arrears and lawyers have served Section 8 notice and we can now start court proceedings.

It seems that the Tenant has vacated the property (trash everywhere, front door jammed shut, broken windows) and doesn’t respond to any communication.

I now need police/bailiffs? to enter the property and reclaim it. Is there a company or service that can do this? I’m not in the country so can’t do it myself.

Thanks

What does your letting agent recommend?

I don’t have an agent

But if you’d had one, you’d also have the answer to this:

You now know that paying an agent to manage properties for you while you are abroad is a wise move. Although that doesn’t guarantee you won’t end up in situations like this, at least they can advise and guide you through this process if they’re already in a management contract with you.

As no agent in their right mind would take this situation on, you’re now looking for a solicitor experienced in the private rental sector. Quick internet search should give you a starting point.

You cant appoint bailiffs until you have a court order. If you go through that process it will take anoth 6 to 8 months to get possession. If you are confident that the tenant has left, ask the lawyer whether youre safe to assume implied surrender through abandonment. You can learn more by googling the video on abandonment by leading housing lawyer David Smith.

1 Like

Are you an estate agent?
As noted I already have a lawyer/solicitor. Was reaching out on this forum for constructive help not for someone to tell me about internet searches. I’ve worked with lots of estate agents and yet to meet a competent one.

2 Likes

You asked for advice here when you’re already paying a lawyer for it? :thinking:

1 Like

tough love mate

but thanks for taking the time to read through the 483 posts that I’ve written on here. That’s commitment!