Rent increase from 750 to 1150 pcm

Basically… Is that right??? Also, there are no comparable rental properties nearby. The only other properties are Orbit houses which are the same build as this property. Been a trouble free tenant for the past 6 years, but no rent increases the whole time. I am not complaining to him but I am on UC and that doesn’t cover my full rent as it is. I have just had the property adapted to my disabilities as well courtesy of the Council as there were no suitable properties available for me to move into so they did this one up. Now I am being turfed out. I’m in a bit of a panic.

1 Like

So, if you’ve had no rent increases for 6 years. Let’s say an average rent increase per year is 3% (a bit on the low side with the current inflation). That would give an 18% rent increase over the 6 years roughly. This equates to £885.

I advice you to say no to the rent increase and suggest a £100 rent increase. If not, tell him to go to a tribunal and have the rent set by them. He will have a hard time doing that.

I was under the impression that a tribunal would set a market rent (a rent which the property would reasonably be expected to achieve on the open market) regardless of a landlord or tenants situation.

If landlord uses section 13 for the rent increase, the tenant can challenge by going to tribunal. The tribunal may set a higher rent if market value is higher. Landlord doesn’t challenge rent increase, tenant does.

1 Like

Actually 6 years of 3% increase would be £895.54 because its cumulative. Sorry to be pedantic.

3 Likes

Nah you’re not. You love it David :laughing:

And you’re absolutely right BTW

1 Like

Oh my days, Jackson, I really feel for you. Your situation is so awful :disappointed: I wish I had some advice to give. I hope you’re able to keep reasonable rent and the landlord capitulates. How horrid you’ve gone to expense and trouble to upgrade the property for your disability just for this to happen to you. Did the LL give you a reason for the outrageous increase? Do you think the LL is trying to price you out?

@Jackson3 I take it the adaptations were made with the landlords consent? If so maybe he thinks now that its adapted he can get a better price for it and is hoping that you will leave…if not maybe he is trying to prive you out than “evict” a disabled tenant

2 Likes

If your LL has a mortgage it may have gone up a lot recently - hence the rise in rent. They also don’t get to set all the mortgage costs against the rent so pay extra tax too. Don’t assume they are just being greedy.

LHA s going up quite significantly in April, so you should check what you are going to receive from April then work out what you can afford & make an offer to the LL. LLs do not want to kick out good tenants, but equally they cannot afford to run at a loss.

Good luck.

1 Like

IMO, those with disability shouldn’t have to deal with this kind of rent increase bs. They already face barriers and this compounds and highlights what they face. It’s awful to see. There should be some type of safeguarding and housing specifically for this type of purpose. That the OP, or any disabled tenant, has to deal with a private landlord and their market issues isn’t right.

1 Like

Well that is a fairly high bill to get hit with. Can you afford this? If not The landlord surely nos your income.

The increase can be contested via tribunal.
It’s not possible to disregard landlords market conditions, this directly affects rent. If it’s not viable to landlord they will just sell up.
Benefits need to rise to match current rent levels.

This price hike seems very excessive. I couldn’t do that, not unless it was absolutely essential. I have a tenant where I haven’t upped the rent for 5 years (foolishly), I should have at least upped it by inflation. Actual market levels are much higher, I could’ve just evicted to get full value (this wouldnt sit right with me) but I have instead upped it a moderate amount and advised tenant i will stagger increase over the next few years, but will still keep below actual value. He’s had a very low rate for many years and appreciates this.

It’s not sensible for landlords to not increase rent periodically as when tenant comes to move then the the sudden increase in rent elsewhere can be too much of a shock.

1 Like

I suppose Benifits do rise, it is understandable that a private landlords rent may go up. In any walk of life prices rise.

We already have this - it’s called Social Housing! Unfortunately we don’t have enough & some is occupied by people who would no longer qualify, but continue to occupy it anyway!

1 Like

Inflation (CPI) has increased by 26% in the last 6 years, so £750 in Feb 2018 would equal £945 in real-terms now. So if they increased to £945, this would be no increase in real terms from what you were paying when you moved in.

That said, inflation is really irrelevant. What’s important is the local market rental prices.

If they have served a Section 13 notice, you can appeal, and take your chance. If they have told you some other informal way, you could go back to them & try & re-negotiate.