Rental uninhabitable

Hello everyone.

On Tuesday this week 29th August i signed a rental agreement and paid deposit and rent for a property.
later that day I went to the property and found several serious issues.
Since the viewing persons unknown ( agent claims it was builders) and had left a lot of mess inside and a window that was ok when I viewed the property was no longer closing properly.
There was no active electricity supply despite me being assured that power would be connected, when I notified the agent , they called back saying that the landlord had no account details or top up card and I would have to contact the supplier myself, the supplier did not take the situation seriously saying I would have to contact them again the following day to get connected.
Other issues include,

front door badly fitted and not a fire door despite leading onto a comunual corridor

Main lock on front door badly fitted with big gaps between door and frame, and the frame where other part of lock fitted is all split and insecure, it is also not a deadlock as required by the agents insurance company.

the non closing window makes heating the flat impossible.

no power for heating lighting and cooking.

The inventory which I was charged for was not done on date claimed and has false information such as claiming front door in good condition.

As it was uninhabitable I have sent them a notice of my legal right to wind back the tenancy but they claim I can be chrged for the unrented days until it is relet despite it being unsuitable for habitation, although I am going to make an appointment with a solicitor next week ( after the three days have passed that the notice I gave them to respond has passed) has anyone been in a similar situation and what happened ?

thank you in advance

It sounds like you may not have been too thorough in your viewing, as some of these issues I suspect would have been present then.

That said, it sounds like to have a poor property, with other issues occuring after your viewing.

You mention you have paid for an inventory. This would be an illegal charge (Internet search “Tenant Fee’s Act”) for more information and this might provide a negotiiating point with your landlord, when you point out their obligations.

do you have proof of the inventory payment ? Howlong before entering to live did you view it?

Yes I do have proof of the inventory payment, there was 5 days between viewing and getting the keys, the unhygienic mess and the damage to the window occurred between that time.
The inventory is dated the day before I got keys but doesn’t mention the mess and damage to the property.

Darren, they charged you illegally. It is classed as banned payment and you can (and, in my opinion, should) use it as a barganing chip to put pressure on the agent. See Shelter website for “Banned tenant fees and penalties”. It won’t let me post the link.

If you exercise your right to unwind the tenancy under consumer rights, then they have to return ALL money youve paid. If they refuse then involve the Council or a solicitor.

Thank you Tim for your information on banned Tennant fees.

David, I fully intend to do so and have sent them a notice of that giving 3 working days before taking legal advice.

Do you think it would be possible to get my Bank to chargeback the monies paid if I have no response by the third day ?

1 Like

I would try everything I can. What a nightmare of a situation. Just imagine dealing with these people after you moved in, being dependent on them to do everything by the book, to arrange repairs in time, then to return you your security deposit at the end of the tenancy… If it’s any consolation, you dodged a bullet here.

No, the bank wont get involved in a civil matter that is subject to a judicial ruling.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.