Right to rent certified digital check

Hello. Does anyone know where I can get a one-off online right to rent check from a certified IDSP? All the providers on gov.uk seem to want to sell me a bundle making it pretty costly when I only need one. TIA.

If the prospective tenant has a share code you can do it yourself on the government website. Once their right to rent is confirmed you then do a physical check yourself. Ideally when they come to view the property. The physical check is for you to be satisfied that their photo ID is a true likeness of the person in front of you. Take a copy of the photo ID and record the date the check was done.

1 Like

Thanks Chris but sadly as a British passport holder the applicant does not get a share code. He’s on the other side of the country from me and taking the property on the strength of a video viewing only. NRLA recommended using a certified digital provider as the only alternative to the face to face manual check in this circumstance but everyone wants to sell you at least 10, making it pricy. Plus you only get a year or two to use them before the credits expire. I even called the landlords helpline about this on gov.uk but it looks like we’ll be trekking up and down motorways before signing the AST.

Will you (or your agent) not be meeting with them for key handover? If so, check the ID then.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.