Right to Rent document: Does the landlord require to sent any document to tenants about Right to Rent check

I hope this is the way the Right to Rent check should be carried out while Covid-19 measures are going on -

• Ask the tenant to submit a scanned copy or a photo of their original documents via email or using a mobile app.
  • Arrange a video call with the tenant – ask them to hold up the original documents to the camera and check them against the digital copy of the documents.
  • Record the date you made the check and mark it as “an adjusted check has been undertaken on [insert date] due to COVID-19”.

After the COVID-19 measures end, hope landlord has to visit the property and do a face to face check.

1. Does the video call check (Covid-19 adjusted check) need to happen before the tenancy starts (hope it should be done before signing tenancy agreement)?

2. Does the landlord need to send any document to the tenants eg:-

Sounds about right. I have examined the documents in person even during covid as its just one extra step before signing everything and handing over the keys on move-in day. However I think you would also be safe with the revised Govt guidance you quote.

1 Like

Thanks @David122,

Do I need to email the tenants the “Right to Rent User Guide” which I included in my previous post or any other document as part of this check?

Thanks

I’ve never seen the Right to Rent user guide, but you are not obliged to send them any information on the legislation unless you want to.

1 Like