Rolling contract notice to quite

Hi I have a tenant who after a year of ASTA has now gone onto a rolling contract. They have failed to pay this months rent due on the 1st. What is the best way to notify them that I want my house back and them out? Surely I do not need a section 21 as its a rolling contract.
Also what happens if they do not leave?

Thanks Steve In Cov

Are there other problems with this tenant? If not then have you reached out to find out why they havent paid? Jumping straight into eviction serms a bit of an extreme initial reaction.

Yes, you would need to use s21 if you were evicting. Can I suggest some landlord training. These are very basic questions.

4 Likes

They problem I have with these tenants is they have always struggled to pay as he cannot keep a job and she has just had a baby so limited work. There has been lots of lies why rent has been late and I think they will struggle come the higher energy bills.

Are they claiming all they are entitled to? It’s a good idea as David suggests to ask them and maybe point them in the direction of claiming. It would appear that they getting UC if there’s a new baby and she (and he at times) sn’t working.
There will be a Housing Benefit payment lumped in which they should be passing onto you.
You can apply to have this paid direct to yourself especially if there’s two months of rent arrears but from what I’ve read on here once the tenant gets wind of it, they can cancel this.
Totally wrong and fraudulent but there’s no penalties for a tenant if they decide to keep your rent money.

2 Likes

It’s ridiculous that the tenant can block this. Arguably it should be how it’s done by default.

Otherwise the tenant can take the housing allowance and pocket it and still not pay rent.

2 Likes

it is always like that ,the landlord can apply for a direct payment ,it can happen ,then the tenant can in effect say "i have caught up, I want it paid back to me ", and it happens . That is another reason not to take anyone on housing benefit . The gov, are shooting the landlord and themselves in the proverbial foot. When I learnt of this many years ago I then decided not to take on any new H B… and I never did. My current long standing H B tenants are great.

3 Likes

Hi I wish Steve can resolve his problem with the tenants , sorry , I need training what is s21? Sorry for asking

Its the notice you give to a tenant to when you want them to leave. If you are a landlord then I strongly suggest you join the NRLA and take their Landlord Fundamentals course.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.