Some pest is eating our floor underlayer under laminate, actively transforming it into dust

Hi, all.
Looks like we have some kind of infestation (?) after our hoarder T left. She didn’t clean or air the place plus bought clothes from charity shops and didn’t boil-wash them.
When we came, there was dust in the corners. We hoovered it. Next day the dust is here again. What can it be?
Anything we can do ourselves, apart from paying big price for pest control?
Any input is welcome.

do you mean woodworm

Looks like it’s nothing to do with wood, after all. We lifted the laminate, and something is actively eating through the underlayer, turning it into dust. Any ideas what it can be? I’m not sure what material it is. We have lifted everything to bare bones, but now need to figure out with what to treat it.

Is it thin foam material (white or green)? I have known these perish after several years, they just crumble to dust.

This reminded me of an infestation I had once. All over the house were tiny little insects crawling about, about the size of grain of rice. They were shy and would stop moving if you went near them.

Managed to trace source to an opened bag of birdseed left in garage that had been there for over 4 years. The eggs lie dormant in the seeds and under certain conditions hatch. They are called “Weevils”.

Mark, how did you get rid of them?

Removed the nest, the seeds. Used sticky spider catcher pads throughout house.

What’s the material of the underlay? its probably just breaking down due to age.

Might be carpet mites - they eat the top layer of carpet, synthetic too… Google it. I’ve seen this in two houses. Research told me that they are v dfficult to get rid of, but in both cases they seemed to have died out. Vacuuming helps but it sounds as though you may need some professional help.

All is well. It was just cushioning layer desintegrating.

What’s the material?

Some kind of yellow sponge.

It’s probably age related. Foam material just disintegrates over time. Mites prefer natural materials.

1 Like