Surname change on marriage during initial tenancy

My tenants have married each other during the initial 6 month tenancy which is due to expire in early November - as they now have a surname change do I need to amend the tenancy to reflect name change…? If so, how do I go about it…?

Any help appreciated.

Hi Barry,

If you are renewing the contract, then yes you should change the name. If not, then there’s no need.

Is this a Rent Now tenancy?

Sam

Thanks Sam, Yes it was set up with OpenRent back in May so the initial 6 months is up in November.

Was thinking of going for a 12 month agreement in November to give both parties peace of mind.

Hi Barry,

I’ve spoken to our team who invite you to be in touch at https://www.openrent.co.uk/faq#i-have-more-questions

Address the email to Maurice.

Essentially, the situation is that our renewals system currently only lets landlords renew with the same tenants, which in 99.9% of cases, means they will have the same names as before!

We’re working hard to build an update where new tenants/guarantors can be added or tenants/guarantors removed.

Remember renewals are free via OpenRent :slight_smile:

Sam

Thanks for your replies guys. The married tenants have now signed the 12 month contract but the only way to add new surname was by inserting adding a clause to that effect. I am now informed OpenRent are looking to improve in this area by facilitating name change on marriage etc later this year.

1 Like

Glad to get it sorted, Barry! And yes indeed, we’re looking to improve on this as part of plans to expand our renewals options.