Tenancy agreement problems

Landlord requested £50 to be removed from tenancy, now wont agree and remaining tenant - husband - is not paying rent. Landlord says I have to pay. How can I resolve this. Its a periodic tenancy. Joint tenants. Husband alcoholic and started physical violence. He failed their finance checks. Any help appreciated. Have paid last 3 months rent though not living there. No money left…

If you haven’t done so already, you will need to serve notice to end the tenancy for both of you. You can do this on your own, but the notice has to be clear that you are ending the tenancy on a particular date. The notice has to be at least one month but ending on the last day of a tenancy period.

Each tenant in a joint tenancy is responsible for 100% of the rent, so you could leave your husband with the liability, although the landlord may decide to pursue you for the rent during notice.

thank you David. So to be clear, I can give notice on behalf of us both?

Yes, thats correct. If the landlord says it’s not valid you can refer him to Monk v Hammersmith and Fulham

1 Like

Thank you David, much appreciated. We have had notice successfully accepted, paid rent upto just got to hope the ex moves out …