Tenants have applied to accomodate Ukrainian refugees: See Ukrainian Refugee Thread

Hi all, I have been informed that my tenants have volunteered to house Ukrainian refugees. They have not discussed this with me nor asked my permission. Although on the face of it, a kind hearted humanitarian gesture, I strongly suspect the monthly payment of £350 to them from our Government, is their main motivation. The property is a small 2 bed house. I don’t want to be mean spirited, but shouldn’t they at least ask for my permission first? Isn’t this in breach of their tenancy agreement, as they’re effectively sub-letting? Would an eviction be blocked by the courts on humanitarian grounds due to the crisis in Ukraine and effectively making Ukrainians homeless? I suppose I could issue a new AST and increase the rent by £350 a month?
Your thoughts please?

there is another post about this . Generally speaking do not allow it

1 Like

You should write to them immediately clarifying that they are not allowed to do this.

2 Likes

Of course they should ask your permission which you should refuse without further checks and assurances. Yes, it is a humanitarian gesture, however, having a refugee from a war zone as your new tenant is asking for problems.

1 Like