Tenants late to pay - resolving this amicably

Julie 1 we need more tenants like you

3 Likes

And if your better paid and above a landlord. Why don’t you buy your own property to maintain and to keep it much cleaner and better than anyone else? You seem to have a slightly narcissistic personality like you enjoy holding people to ransom! It’s not about who’s better than who! These are peoples homes, their livelihoods! Why is it ok for a tenant to not pay rent because they are having financial troubles but it’s not ok for a landlord to not be able to fix a non urgent repair or update because they could be having financial issues too! You seem the kind of person who has little ability to communicate but can only dictate! Are you like that with every aspect of your life including relationships? I’d hazard a guess you have been served quite a few section 21’s in your life because regardless of your opinion nobody should ever withhold rent! If you’re not happy you have the freedom to notify your landlord that you wish to quit the property in one months time! It’s a freedom that costs you zero but if a landlord wants to do this it has the potential to run into thousands of pounds!
I get you may think I’m not right in my head because all these laws help the tenant well yes it’s a little reassuring but it’s also the reason why landlords have distrust of people like me and my situation! It’s the reason why so many landlords a deciding it’s not worth it because of the financial implications that are compounded by people like you so fewer homes are available! So what then? Because the government certainly won’t be making sure you have a roof over your head! So please understand landlords are human too and not robots and especially these last 12 months NOBODY has escaped the impact of covid 19.

3 Likes

I’m not a good tenant on paper Colin but I am sick and tired of people thinking rent is not a priority debt!! Nobody in this country is left without help to pay! I worked 30+ years before my disability and always paid my rent thanks to earning a good salary! Granted once I was disabled and reliant on claiming benefits I had to lower my expectations of the kind of home I want to fit my budget but thanks to the tax payer who with the help of the government told me I could have X amount of rent money paid to me I was able to find a fairly decent home and that money I was given was passed straight to landlord!! There is ZERO excuse for anyone not to pay rent! Landlords have mortgages so people like me can pay rent and if we can understand this fully then we would all live much better and more comfortably.

3 Likes

there are a lot of instances that could make life easier. Firms paying invoices right away instead of holding out for 3 months. Directors soaking their own firms , going bankrupt and then opening up under a different name. Landlords being reasonable with level of rent. Tenants paying the rent first instead of buying designer gear… We can go on . The tory goverment years ago sold off many council houses , now not enough affordable houses for those who need them. Thus councils try to pass on their problems on to the private sector, so we do NOT trust the local councils

3 Likes

I know but I find it very unfair that so many laws and regulations are being placed upon private landlords and most new ones have come at them like an onslaught from a machine gun! Constantly year after year! Yet no laws in place to hold tenants account for not paying rent and I am aiming this mainly at people like myself who get my rent paid by the tax payer! It clearly states on my Universal Credit account that my housing element (rent) is £XYZ amount so to me if I decided to use that money ring fenced for rent on anything other than rent I should be done for fraud or at a minimum of theft!! Because if this law was in place it would go a long way to show people like Carole that rent is a priority debt!! I get Carol may not be on benefits but the sooner we create a thought process of what is priority debt the better.

3 Likes

what will happen is that landlords will start to sell up . We are easier targets than tenants as we own property., Tenants generally do not. When there are not enough properties to rent ,then Councils will be stitched up, along with those who need to rent… This may take a few years but it will happen. I have started to shift from rented homes ,to commercial places . Easier , less hassle , easier evictions if needed,

4 Likes

Correct! I see this is already happening and the saddest part about it is the government couldn’t care less about where or on what people can live in anyway!
What’s even more annoying is I was actually offered a council flat by my local council when my previous landlord was selling up and the state it was in was ridiculous and I even though I knew I was accepting it it actually outraged me thinking of that property had been a private landlord then many regulations put on private landlords would have been seriously breached so! I turned it down because I can’t bare to live anywhere that’s surrounded by people who don’t respect their homes and garden and council estates nowadays are just dumping grounds, rubbish everywhere and I genuinely can’t handle that kind of environment! Some may call it judgmental but it’s not as I lived on a council estate when I was a growing up and back then everyone including my parents even had flowers on their immediate grass verges lol even mowed them to perfection but nowadays they are churned up mud car parking spots and it’s the councils and government that allow them to destroy property as they don’t need to care about maintaining them either! But private landlords are scrutinised beyond comprehension and now it’s got to the point where landlords are giving up us renters are suffering and those who disregarded those landlords by not respecting property and not treating rent as a priority debt are soon going to realise that the very legislations mean to protect them has made them homeless and nowhere to turn!
Good luck with your new pathway in to commercial lettings I’m sure you’ll be very successful.

2 Likes

you have missed the point completely. why do you get personal as well. sum you up in one shot, which is as simple as “far too much to say”. the subject wasn’t an excuse for you to type what your guess was of what type of person I am. you have picked up the completely wrong end of the stick. I never typed general repairs, read it again, windows that are in need of updating, as in rotted frames insecure out of date easy to brake into aluminium double glazing doors, you mostly only see these on houses that are rented because the owners will not pay out to have them updated, fencing, be leave me I do every general repair I never bother the owner nor do I ask to be payed for his general repairs I carry out. I am a heavy vehicle technician so a bit of plumbing or painting, I find a doddle. get on to what you are reading, sit back dwell it over make sure you understand what you have just read, then when you are pretty confident you do, then comment. because all you have done is typed a load of crap about nothing about what the subject was about. keep your guessed impressions of other people too yourself that no body is interested in.

Regardless of what I may or may not have misread about repairs, your attitude of why landlords think their rent should be made a priority! It’s a priority for them because their mortgage is a priority so it’s not just money they use to play with, it’s their lifeline, their child’s college money but mostly it’s to keep a roof over their head! What would you class a priority debt then if rent certainly isn’t one as far as your concerned???
You talk as if it’s a them and us situation us being human then being robots and when I spoke of your personality it’s was because of the way you was coming across and was interested if you come across that way in all your dealings with people! But you was being stacking the character of landlords by saying they think they are above everyone and that you was much better and had more about you than they had! So what relevance does that have?
Also if you rented a house seeing it had rotten windows for example why would you rent it? A viewing is an opportunity for both parties to get a feel of who they are dealing with.
You may think I spoke a lot of nonsense and it’s your right to take what you want from any comments made but nonetheless I will argue all day long that RENT IS A PRIORITY DEBT!

2 Likes

There are plenty of landlords who want to do repairs and maintain the their homes to a high standard.
With every Tenant we have had we have had to fight and argue to get access.
Every excuse under the sun as to why access cannot be granted and of course, just simply not answering the door or being in.

1 Like

strange… i have been a landlord for 40 years and NEVER had anyone refuse me access for repairs. Some tenants just say Let yourself in Colin. Maybe it helps that i am a builder and worked in peoples homes for 50 years

1 Like

I no I did not say there wasn’t. here’s an example. the back gate is u/s its rotted come adrift it needs a new one fitting. I reported this with the property place the owner uses, 4 weeks ago. the sheds in the garden, have a lot of expensive tooling in them. so its not just the case of the gate is not fit for purpose. the way into the garden needs to be secure. so that’s ample time to have sent the appropriate trades man to get it sorted. tomorrow I will go to b&q I have a trade account I will price the materials to make a gate. I will price a complete gate. what ever is the cheapest I will do, then send the invoice to the people the owner uses to look after his house. most of them take far to long to take action with repairs. you might say you should not have expensive tools in the sheds, but why not because I don’t own the house. these things need taking into account . security should be a priority with the way things are now a days

I don’t see why I’m odd because I believe rent is a priority! I rent my home that’s why I’m on here!

2 Likes