Tenants want to leave 2 months into a 6 month AST

Advice Please:My tenants moved in 2 months ago, so are 2 months into a 6 month AST. (there is a 4 month break clause) I’ve received a text to say they have split up (they are both tenants) and the female tenant has moved out! The guy is saying he can’t afford the rent alone and wants to leave at the end of this month! I have explained that they are both responsible for the rent for 6 months, but as a goodwill gesture I will re-advertise the property and if I find a suitable tenant I will release them early?! As yet they haven’t stopped paying the rent but he keeps saying he cannot afford the rent payment alone.

I have Guarantors for them but would like to resolve the problem without involving the Guarantors at this stage.

Do I write to the female tenant and remind her of her contractual agreement to pay the rent until such a time I can find a suitable replacement for them?

Kind Regards

I don’t see why not.

Yes, I would do that. I think you should press them for a response though because if they just stop paying and he stays there, you could be stuck with them for months. If its looking bad, I think I would tell them that if they both serve notice, I would accept it.

1 Like

What rotten luck, Keren.

The bit to add on to your goodwill gesture is to make sure he is keeping the property in good enough condition for viewings to take place.

Let us know how you get on.

I found another Tenant who is moving in the day after the current Tenants leaves so a great result…

Thank you for your thoughts, it is much appreciated to have a great sounding board

1 Like