Updating info on AST

Hi,
Happy New year to you all…
Quick question. If I need to update information on the AST, can this be done without entering into a contracted period again? On a rolling contract at the moment
Thanks in advance
Joanna

What information is incorrect? Contracts are a historical document and will go out of date quite quickly as information and the law changes. You cant really alter an existing agreement, but depending on the type of information, you may just be able to serve a notice or write to the tenant with the new details.

Hi David
I wanted to update it with tenants responsibility regards the damp and mould issues we’re experiencing. I emailed her with steps such as not drying washing on radiators and wiping condensation off windows etc but wanted it to be included in the AST as there is nothing currently about ventilation etc included. Just been to the property (getting quotes with trades) and windows absolutely dripping and no dehumidifier on!! We’re in the process of getting exterior work done to combat the issues so really need her to comply with the inside of the property. Am I in my right to insist on these habitual changes? What other than email and updating AST can I do?

The only practical way to make that contractual is by signing a new tenancy agreement, which I wouldn’t recommend and which the tenant wouldn’t have to agree to anyway. It also doesn’t really help you since you would never in practice use that as a ground for eviction because it would be discretionary and you’d be unlikely to succeed.

I would suggest you firstly make sure that the mould problem is solely down to tenant lifestyle. If there is any damp ingress you would have problems later on. Once you are confident of this, then you have to manage (or I would say over-manage) the problem until its resolved. You’ve written advising them what they must do. The next step is to increase the frequency of inspections to ensure that they are following the advice. If they’re repeatedly ignoring it and the problem continues, then I would suggest you evict using s21.

Thanks David… Yes we’re in process of having work done to the building which will hopefully rectify the issue so not all caused by tenant at all. Joanna