Vacant Possession BEFORE Covid 19

I took my tenant to court in February due to rent arrears and was granted the vacant possession order. We then applied to the Bailiffs for eviction, but before they could get there Lockdown happened.

The tenant who was unemployed and receiving Universal Credit has not outwardly been affected by Covid 19 has remained in the property and is still not paying rent.

What happens in this instance? In reality I am in so much debt myself as that income was needed (I only have the 1 property) I now need to sell the property. How can I get her out? I am so stressed and can’t see an end to this and all the time the tenant gets to live rent free. What is going on here?

apply to council to get Housing money paid to you

1 Like

They said they can’t do that. Also the council have just told her to stay and are now not even replying to me.

There s a word for people in councils like that

1 Like

The council’s behaviour over this has been dispicable. They actually told me that it suits them for her to stay as they don;'t have another property for her. I think she’s done this to try to get a council flat. Now I’m stuck in the middle.

I know they are only thinking of themselves Sometimes you wish you had access to some "friends " to sort out these people

1 Like

Lol. I’d just settle for some fair treatment of Landlords. We’re not all ruthless, multi-property, rich people. Some of us, just rented out our old flat because we couldn’t sell it and now we’re screwed. I could literally cry.

2 Likes

This is exactly why I will NEVER take on a tenant who is a stranger and on U C… I will leave my place empty first…Indeed i did that once before and left it for 2 years I have others places so dont feel the effects moneywise.They can plead as much as they like ,it does not wash with me

She wasn’t on UC when I took her on - she was employed!

interesting - as it was the Council that tole me I couldn’t get it paid directly to me.

The main point though - I want her out so I can sell!

That was my original question.

If it was underway before can you not contact them directly?

The Bailiffs are not operational and not answering calls. Hence why I asked the question here. Advice on what happens when have already been granted a vacant possession order would be good.

Form

Universal Credit: Landlord request for a managed payment or rent arrears deduction

https://directpayment.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-alternative-payment-arrangements/alternative-payment-arrangements

You can claim the Local Housing Allowance directly fro m the DWP once the tenant is in arrears by 8 weeks. Complete a UC47 Form (this form may have changed due to covid) . Do you have the tenant’s date of birth, you need this information to put on the form. They are very helpful and you can contact them on 0800 328 0128. The tenant will still have to pay the shortfall but you get even a higher amount now that housing allowance has been raised . Also did you apply for deferred payment with your bank to help relieve you of the pressure a bit?

Good luck.

Its my understanding that if you need to sell the property and the correct notice has been given then the tenant has no choice in the matter. Also if the council is paying your tenant housing benefit and it isn’t being used as intended then that is fraud. I think it might be worth professional advice before the tenant and the council bankrupt you.

1 Like

I know it’s financially painful, but Christine is right. There’s no substitute for professional advice when the position feels impossible to resolve. I’d go to to a pro collection / eviction agent. There are a lot of sharks out there so check them out carefully before parting with money. Personally, I’ve had good results from ARC in Derbyshire. Don’t let physical location be a barrier, a good agent doesn’t need to be around the corner. I’ve never met Anthony, but we’ve worked together to resolve a few issues. But be prepared, you’re unlikely toget all of what you’re owed / spend. This is a damage limitation exercise. Failure to act quickly only increases the damage.

1 Like