Who is responsible for eradicating condensation damp and mould?

If you have a room or full accommodation which had no ventilation and had damp, condensation leading to mould patches. And there was no sign or indication about the vent, condensation, damp etc when you moved in. Surely it’s not up to the tenant to fix all this??
It’s quite easy for a Landlord to say so or make an excuse to avoid the costs of repair and put it on the tenant.

When you say its got no ventilation. Is there not an opening window? Do you use it?

Is it black mould? if so, this highly likely to be due to condensation, and lack of heating / ventilation.

The way a tenant heats & airs the property will affect the level of condensation, and hence possible damp. If they dry cloths on radiators, steam up the bathroom without window open etc, the water has to go somewhere.

No doubt, some damp is caused by structural issues, such as leaks, rising damp etc, but this would normally be obvious by its location.

Yes I open window and heat room, no I don’t dry clothes. There is no ventilation cause the landlord confirmed this. It is on the verge of damp, condensation turning to mould which I clean but will always come back and will. I don’t see why any tenant should have to be constantly cleaning, heating to get rid of this filth. It’s making them pay extra for the heating and alot more work to do that there should be. If there was adequate ventilation like at my mother’s or any one elses home I’ve been in there would be no need for excess cost of heating and the extra chores of cleaning away the damp, condensation etc which if you ate working full time,you may not have time to do or I my case due to a mental health condition find everyday tasks a struggle never mind the extra hassle for damp and condensation needing cleaned. I understand If the damp was cause by me, for example drying clothes in doors I would then realise this as I have common sense, it would be down to me to solve but it’s not is it. And that’s exactly how it is.

I genuinely do not understand what the issue is. You are suggesting the probelm is caused by the lack of ventilation, yet you have said you have a window which opens. When its open, that provides ventilation. what do you want Landlord to install?

You’ve said you shouldn’t have to be constantly heating. A property not heated and ventilated = condensation = damp = possible mould. I have to heat my own house, everyone has to heat their house.

3 Likes

Double glazed windows usually have a 2nd lock which will lock with a key keeping the window secure but slightly open similar to a trickle

1 Like

I’ve been in this business a long time. The only times I’ve ever had mould issues in a property have always been because of the tenant’s lifestyle. Every. Single. Time. Once they follow my advice, things tend to rectify themselves pretty quickly.

But that’s because I catch it quickly because I do quarterly inspections and I’m vigilant. Once I see the telltale signs, you can nip it in the bud. If you don’t, it’s very hard to get it back to normal once it sets in.

Daily heating and ventilation (not at the same time) are essential. Condenser dryers for clothes are no longer expensive as they once were and so recommended over non-condensers. No drying clothes on rads. Wiping down windows every morning. Etc etc.

Do you spend pretty much all day in the property? If so, you’re producing moisture that whole time and it has to go somewhere.

1 Like

My landlord told me it’s cause there is no ventilation he confirmed it I did not suggest. I do heat my house but I only heat the room I’m using at the time I have tryed for months to keep the condensation and damp at bay but it doesn’t matter how much I try it still comes back. No I don’t sit in the flat all day. When I’m home if I’m cold I put the heating on in the room im in.
It’s quite obvious that anyone who is trying to its my doing or my responsibility etc is oviously a landlord then self. I’m am not brains of Britain but I no right from wrong using common sense and knowledge. If I damage done thing or something needs replacing of my own doing I happily sort it out and pay for it myself. I’m a good tenant and he is a nice guy to. But oviously to sort this will cost a fair bit, and I understand his position, if you can avoid as much cost as possible.

Yea m8 I’ve opened the window slightly and locked it still damp

During winter the temperature at night will fall below the dew point, which is the temperature at which the air can no longer hold any moisture and all the moisture will be dumped onto the coldest surface, normally a window. That’s why you wake up with wet windows. The only solution is to keep a heater on at night to keep temperature above dew point, which may be around 10-12 degrees c. If you let a room with a source of moisture in it (i.e. a bathroom, or bedroom you sleep in) get completely cold with no heat then it is inevitable you will get condensation, its the laws of physics. Even if you run a dehumidifier it may not have time to extract all the moisture before the temperature crosses the dew point, although it might help somewhat because it reduces the amount of moisture in the air that can be dumped on the window.

2 Likes

Well m8 I understand what your saying ok, when I moved in, my landlord was made well aware that I was on low income, claiming sickness element and Housing Element of universal credit and PIP which is now Adult disability payment due to a mental health condition. Any 1 have asked this, on-line and in person who is not a landlord and who have experienced low income are in agreement with me but any landlords especially online not so much in person don’t agree, tells me Landlords online are quick enough to say it’s up to the tenant well a contact on mine who works for social housing, has gave me feedback or advice about this, it’s quite easy for any landlords online to hide behind a smart phone, laptop, tablet or computer and tell tenants it’s their responsibility. but in reality if the damp condensation etc is caused by the tenant for example in the bathroom due to not cleaning the tiles, etc it definitely is the tenants responsibility cause after all they use the shower and it’s a normal thing to clean your bathroom. It’s also a regular occurrence for windows to require a wipe regularly which is fine, what is not an everyday occurrence is huge black patches on the bedroom walls of damp condensation leading to mould. I have lived many places and not 1 had this issue. It’s not a normal everyday occurrence I’m affraid and it’s not a normal thing to have to constantly have to clean this off the walls, maybe in a 3rd world country it is, but this is Scotland and 2024. I could very easily get environment health in and I have asked their advice, they want to have a look, from what I tell them I am correct how ever they can’t confirm it untill they expect it, but it would mean i would be getting my landlord I’m trouble or even causing him cost he may be can’t afford and I understand that, what i don’t understand is why he does not say he can’t afford to fix the problem cause i am honest with him 100%. Im quite sure if he came and inspected his property and discussed it face to face, he would they take my opinion and views on and agree, as it’s not right what so ever that anyone renting a property should be living in those conditions. Maybe if I owned the property and lived in it myself. so I take it you will also say if I go away on holiday for a fortnight I should leave heating on, I don’t think so. Who in Thier right mind leaves heating on then they are away for a period of, no one I no, or asked, even social housing etc only people who say I’m wrong are landlords online, who will have no come back if I get environment health in. It’s quite simple for anyone reading this what’s going on.

I’m going to buy a dehumidifier a big one of it can half my electric bill, I’ll certainly try, why did no one say ?? :rofl:

Yep your right if I had known that the flat had suffered damp before I moved in but had been cleaned up. And new the signs to look out for I probably could have nipped it in the bud. But I am actually used to a quite high standard of living. Oviously some people must think it’s ok to live in a slum. I don’t mean u though :wink:
I only wish my landlord had said about this when I got the keys or before cause when I told him, he said once the previous tenant kept the heating on at 16 all the time it was ok. Or had a dehumidifier or said to buy one. So he obviously knew it would get dampness, condensation mould. But I have mould removal a face mask and gloves. And am getting a dehumidifier myself. But I’m still going to find another flat but as I said I like my landlord and he likes me and I never let a good man down.

If anyone is cleaning mould please wear a face mask I don’t mean so much for mould in the grouting of the tiles in your bathroom but if there is huge black patches on the bedroom walls as an example. I bought a mould remover and scrapper.

You do waffle a lot Joseph, in short what does the EPC state ?

1 Like

Energy performance certificate.

Sorry phone battery ran out the EPC of the property is D I have checked when doing my homework few months ago

Hey Leslie1 Joseph is my Sunday name you can call me Joe :wink:

Joe, read what I said, you don’t need the heating on full blast, you just need to get it above the dew point which varies but might be about 10 degrees C, which is still really cold, you just need a heater on the lowest setting. The dew point is like a red line, once you cross it then bang, all the water in the air condenses at once. That’s why dehumidifiers may not work to stop the wet windows, because they don’t have time to extract all the water vapour before the dew point is crossed. It might be 10 degrees, it might be 12 degress, but you cannot let the dew point be crossed or you will get a lot of condensation.

If you are getting patches on the wall that means that the wall is the coldest part of the room, not the windows. What’s on the other side of that wall, is it north facing and the window south facing? What is the reason that wall is so cold? There might be a structural reason like it being north facing and not insulated. But even so, you need some constant low heat to keep the temperature above 10degrees. If the wall got e.g. insulated but you still didn’t heat the room then the water would just find the next coldest place in the room, if you cross the dew point then it has to escape somehow.

2 Likes

Graham that is great information thanks. Yeah I understand exactly what you are saying. As I have mentioned before I’m not brains of Britain so you have simplified it for me, and that is all good. I appreciate that.
I honestly don’t think it’s the structure of the building. Maybe no installation I’m not sure, but I do no is I don’t let the condensation turn to mould, yuk I hate mould. Condensation on a window I’m used to but not on walls, or mould. Oviously I’ve seen condensation in bathroom and kitchen before in the past. So the bedroom was is first time I’ve experienced anything like this
Any way thanks

Acrylic durable Matt emulsion or Acrylic eggshell (High quality trade paint from Crown or Johnstones trade outlets ,retail name is kitchen and bathroom paint), the eggshell is a sheen finish, both of which are good paints to use on problem walls and ceilings. It won’t stop condensation forming but will provide a wipeable (scrubable) surface that helps stop mould being able to form. 2 coats required.

The surfaces must be clean before application.

1 Like