1st time renters advice

Myself and my partner have lived with my parents for coming up 3 years now and are looking to move out. Buying seems impossible for 1st time buyers currently so we have opted to rent.
I’m just looking for any advice from people for things to look out for, what do we need to ensure we have, how to ensure we’re getting our moneys worth. Anything you feel you wish you knew at the beginning really

If I were you, I would ask LL for proof of ownership. Ask them to show Title of Deeds. It will put your mind at rest that they’re not a scammer who show you some random flat, take your money, give some random keys and run. It does happen.
As for getting your money’s worth, I would always deal with private LL and not the agencies. Agencies usually are less responsible and slow to act.
After you gave security deposit (not holding deposit), demand to see proof that it’s protected with one of the government-approved deposit schemes. LL or the agency by law have to give you deposit portection certificate with so-called Prescribed Information. Don’t let them brush you off. They have to do it within a month from receipt of deposit and are in breach of the law if they don’t.
Generally, they’re too many things to write here. Make sure you create a good rapport with LL (impossible with the agency). Good relationship is the most important thing.
Not every LL will be eager to rent to you if you don’t have a history of renting and previous references from LL. New TT usually require more time and know little to nothing about their responsibilities. It can create problems.

Am not a LL at all but speaking from.expeeience and from what i have read on here
Be open and honest with the LL from day 1
Communicate as much as you can in writing (or obv e mail) incase anything does go wrong

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.