Amount of deposit deducted is a worst case estimate

Hello All,
I am a tenant. I have caused damage to a marble kitchen worktop but could not replace it before ending my tenancy. Fixing it would cost £1000 but may cost more if some of the marble (up-stands) could not be re-used. The landlord wants to deduct the maximum possible for a worst-case scenario (£1500) and said they would return the rest if the cost ended up being less. Is this arrangement quite common? Should I agree to be billed directly by the company fixing it instead?
Since we are still discussing other deductions, I am worried about agreeing on the larger sum as the landlord might simply keep it all as the deposit would no longer be protected. Any ideas? Thanks.

you may find the repair company would rather be paid by the landlord than by yourself. You could get the company to send you a copy of the final bill as a check for yourself

But this means the LL will keep the large sum from the deposit and refund later after it is fixed. Is this common? Once the LL deducts £1500 this means the money is no more protected by the deposit protection scheme. How do I guarantee the LL will give me back the remainder after the work is done?

how can you gurantee you will pay the repair company? it works both ways.

Sure. So what is the proper way to do this? Landlord deducts £1500 and returns the rest after the work is done?

I can see no other way But get this agreement in writing and witnessed by someone you know

I would ask the Landlord to provide a quote from 3 separate repair companies before agreeing anything.
Just curious but how did you damage the marble, and how extensively?

1 Like

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would:

  1. Ask to be billed directly. However, you would need to agree on the extent of repairs, get a quote for it, otherwise the landlord may charge for more changes than necessary. You may still end up paying for more than the maximum suggested if unforeseen things arise during the repair.
  2. If not, then see if you can agree the larger amount to be held by the Deposit holding company, to be released to both parties on receipt of invoice issued to them. They should check with you before releasing the funds, then pay the invoiced amount and send you the surplus.
  3. Otherwise, go by your gut feel. Good luck.
1 Like