Are you allowed to take extra deposit for pets

Hello,
I know that deposit rules have changed since my last tenants moved in, and it is now a maximum of 5 weeks rent that is allowed. I have potential tenants who have cats and would like to take a extra deposit in relation to any damage they may do, as the property has some lovely furniture in it. Does anyone know if this is still allowed or where I can find guidance?
Your help would be really appreciated,
Thank you Justine

You are not able to take more than five weeks deposit.
Others have suggested you get round this by increasing the rent slightly to cover any potential but if you have already installed the tenant or agreed the rent it might be harder to renegotiate.

1 Like

Just re-read your post.
Maybe try and negotiate a slightly higher rent?

Thank you, its a tricky one, as I don’t want to take more money from them. I just want to know I will be covered/ not disadvantaged if they do cause any damage.

I have taken extra rent for pets.
It’s better safe than sorry

2 Likes

Ask the tenants to take out insurance against any damage done by their pets

There are a lot of threads on here regarding tenants who have let their pets cause damage.
Trouble is you won’t be covered as the law is biased towards the tenant regardless.
Small thing, you could ask that the tenant provides one of those structures that cats can use to scratch and climb on etc.

2 Likes

Don’t people take out insurance when they move in anyway? As surely that will cover any damages. And things can be replaced accordingly.

Has anyone tried to claim for pet caused damage against a tenant’s insurance policy? Good luck with that. It’ll reduce your life expectancy. Higher rent more likely to keep everyone honest. Its just like buying insurance but you pay the landlord for it.

2 Likes

I had a tenant who got cats despite a no pets clause and lied about it. When we got the property back all the edges of carpets had been clawed and carpets needed replacing. It stank. The bannisters and skirting all scratched. It cost in region of £1500 to repair and replace. Dont do it! Wait for a pet free tenant unless you are prepared to take the loss.

Andrew Rollinson MP is trying now to force all Landlords to take pets regardless of whether the property is suitable. The government were warned when they introduced tenant fee ban that the cap on deposits would be detrimental to pet owners as without the security of an extra deposit to cover damage Landlords would not take the risk but the Govt did not listen.

As for pet insurance I have learnt never to put the control over my risk in the hands of others.

2 Likes

I will never take pets and i do not care who knows it ,The council, the goverment ,Shelter or Donald Duck

1 Like

only realistic option is to take more rent. an insurance claim by a tenant bit of a longshot. as lady stated above get a catflap fitted and encourage some catifications. our cats have lots to do and dont damage anything out of boredom

1 Like