Buying Commercial Property without Change of Use permission (Permitted Development)

Hi,
I am offering on a commercial building. It has ground floor, first floor and basement.
It was used by a Bank around 3 years ago. Someone bought it 2 years ago and rented the ground floor alone to a shop. Shop is closed now and the owner is selling the property.

The entire building has got Class E permission.

My intention is buy the property and then convert the first floor (office area) to a flat without making too much changes.

The ground floor was used as a shop, basement was not used (may be it can be used as a storage for the shop). I will be running a business in the shop (ground floor).

First floor is office space and vacant for more than 2 years. It has already kitchen, male toilet, female toilet, 4 rooms and separate entrance to the first floor.

I believe it comes under Permitted Development (E to MA). The seller will NOT wait until I get the permission from the council.

I am not sure whether it is safe to buy the property even if it comes under permitted development without having the E to MA conversion approved by the council.

I was wondering whether anyone has done similar purchase without change of use approved.
Thanks

a couple of years ago it was made easier to convert from commercial to residential Without PP except I think to a HMO. So I would say Go for it . You could always have an informal chat with a planning officer

1 Like

Not sure whether the planning officer will be happy to discuss anything without an application.

ASK. you never know / Say you are willing to pay a fee For advice … Or ask a local architect on his/her view

1 Like

Thanks @Colin3 , I will contact them.

The idea of skipping the permission process sounds tempting, but walking into a legal gray area makes me a bit nervous. Is it really a case of “better to ask for forgiveness than permission”? (Especially when it comes to something as important as property!)

On the other hand, following all the official channels can be a bureaucratic maze, and time is money, right? I’m curious to hear from folks who have experience navigating permitted development for commercial properties. Did it go smoothly, or were there any unexpected hurdles?

Also, if it seems like permitted development might be the way to go, are there any specific things I should look out for in the property itself? For example, would existing doors need to meet certain fire safety codes (like these guys: Quality Hollow Metal Doors and Frames | USA Fire Door)?