Can anyone offer advice?

Take a breath.
At the moment you cannot see wood for trees
No one can force you to leave.
You can leave on your own terms
Find somewhere when your fixed term ends and leave it at that

2 Likes

I was serious about the subletting threat by the way.

1 Like

The problem for us is moving isn’t easy… we’ve seen 15 different properties already and they all said no except this last one… and we offered all of them 12 months rent upfront through our parents…

I am a full time carer and I have to be in a certain distance and our circumstances is not what most landlords want and I fear the most is no one accepts up for months on end at the end of tenancy and we end up on the streets.

I use to be so high up in life and now this is the lowest point ever

Okay spoken to shelter and the council.

They’re advice really can only kick in once notice has come.

They’re both on the fence about wether I should take this other property or not.

They both agree it’s not harassment towards the landlord.

The agent has since emailed saying the owners feel threatened and harassed that we dropped a letter through.

Email your estate agent and let them know what the council and shelter have told you. They will probably pull back knowing you have involved the council and shelter.

2 Likes

​It is always easier to “solve” someone else’s problems, I know, but I would just wait till the contract is rolling and leave as soon as I found the new property (might take 2-12 months) with 1 month notice and always paying rent in time.

They want you to be gone sooner than that? Let THEM worry about that.

1 Like

Okay so after talking with Shelter and the council etc, we have decided to take the new property. As it’s not just stress for us it’s also stress on the kids etc and we just moved here and they need to settle.

As per advice earlier we have said it the landlord does not agree with us moving and our move dates the property will be sublet or left empty without rent.

Thanks all

2 Likes

Well done to you. Hope it gets better from now on

2 Likes

You’ve all been great. Thanks so much :+1:

2 Likes

How did things turn out in the end?

1 Like

Very tough indeed - and not very good either.

I would call the council re: the missing certificates. Also good to know that he won’t be allowed to evict without them.

In terms of repairs. If you have told the landlord and agency about it and they haven’t fixed it you can do it yourself and deduct the costs on the rent (with receipts).

Also, I would contact the landlord directly in writing, outlining your problems and asking them to help you with moving costs as you had clearly wanted it to be long-term. They might do that to avoid the hassle of evicting you.

In the end, they will have grounds to evict you.