Can I evict my lodger?

Hello,

My lodger is behaving very disrespectfully and I wish to evict them. The contract states:

Licence to occupy, granted by this agreement, shall end on the earliest of 24.10.22. The expiry of not less than seven days’ notice given by the Licensor to the Licensee if the Licensee breaches any of the Licensee’s obligations contained in clause 3; and the expiry of not less than four weeks’ notice given by either party to the other.

I really wanted them to go away. This is from an Excluded licence agreement for
letting a room in your own home agreement

Thanks in advance!

Assuming that you live in the same property and share some accommodation (kitchen, bathroom, lounge etc) then the lodger will have very little rights and you can evict them without a court order. As you have specified the notice period in a contract, you should stick to this or they could potentially sue you for their losses. Have they done anything which you believe has breached the terms of the agreement? If so you can give them a weeks notice. If not then you should probably give them 4 weeks notice, although if you feel threatened or harassed by them, you can simply exclude them from the property whilst they’re out by changing the locks. This is quite drastic and you should be able to justify it.