Can Mould Damage be Taken off Bond

Hi Beautiful People,

The tenants have now moved out but we have found significant mold in the flat.

I’m now investing in mould removal services and potentially even stripping back to the brickwork and replastering.

It was never reported by the tenant - so the issue has grown.

Is this something that can be claimed in the bond - welcome anyone’s thoughts.

Or if anyone has had any similar experiences and what they have done as a result.

Wish you all the best
Kay

It depends. How frequently did you inspect the property and did you keep records? Have you had a damp survey so that you know the cause of the mould?

1 Like

No Damp survey yet but will be getting a builder to fix up the walls

If the mould is as bad as you say then the deposit scheme will probably want to know why you didnt pick up on the issue and intervene sooner and why you think its caused by the tenants lifestyle and not damp ingress.

2 Likes

Hi Kay4
I’d be careful of getting a builder in to ‘fix’ the issue. We did the same in the summer and as they are not damp experts, they unwittingly did not fix it but made the issue worse. I would strongly recommend getting a damp surveyor to identify the causes and go from there, otherwise you’re just putting a sticking plaster on what can be a huge issue

1 Like

so right A previous stone house I lived in had no dampcourse and had no damp problems tho 200 years old , I insulated all the external walls inside each room . . When I later moved home pulled the wardrobe away from the wall there was a trace of mould on the wall. because of No air circulation behind it. We never dried clothes in the home . had a vented out tumble drier. Fans in the utility and bathroom , Extractor in the kitchen , never a problem. My property s are well insulated , no probs. I have seen jobs I have worked on as a builder where leaks have caused the mould , and bad habits by the home ownner has caused mould

1 Like