Complains on your tenants taking Cannabis

Hi All,

I know everyone saying smoking weed is illegal. So here is the situation and would be great to see what you think I should do.

Building management sent an e-mail saying, they had numerous complain about my tenant smoking weed at the balcony and was filmed by 2 people and also said reported communal corridor got weed smell as well confirmed by himself and his colleague. The manager wants to me to response what i intend to do about it and stating I am breaching the lease.

There is a dozen way to go about this but what is the easiest and most effective way to tackle this problem?

There was a guy and a lady in there when the lady was not at home the guy smokes weed it seems.

any suggestion helps!

Is the drug addict a named tenant or permissible occupier?

I would send a stern letter to all residents advising of reports and that there is evidence and that they are in breach of lease. Should further illegal activity occur the lease will be terminated.

If he is a named occupier I would say the same but advise he will be out.

2 Likes

I think in your shoes I would probably meet the tenants and put the reports to them and hear what they have to say. I would need to let them know that any further reports could lead to notice being served. I would then follow that up with a letter making the same points. The danger with not meeting them is that if the claims turned out to be some false vendetta, the whole thing could backfire.

It seems to me the issue is not particularly that it is weed - but that it is general nuisance caused to other tenants.
many of the issues are similar to those smoking tobacco in the building or on balconies where the smoke/smell is present in communal areas.
You don’t need to judge the tenants personal choices just to point out it is forbidden in the building.and depending on your wording, in breach of the tenancy agreement.
Check carefully you own obligation under any building codes or rules. What does you lease /maintenance agreement say.

1 Like

Hi Dave7

I would suggest that you ask Building management to send email to your tenant as the building management should have all residents contact email address and also to cc to first.

If the tenant do not reply to within certain days and then you can send the reminder and ask for explanation for not replying to the building management.

I say issue is weed. Weed always smells unruly and antisocial. Smoking is bad but weed is the next level. Smokers are at the bottom of my list and anyone smokes weed has no place on my list!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.