End of tenancy - Garden is not tidy due to whether

Hi,
My tenant is moving out in a week’s time. He has not mowed the grass.
As per the inventory, when he moved in it was neat and tidy.

The tenant says it is due to the whether he cannot mow the garden.
I am not sure whether it is an acceptable reason when he can get a gardener to do the job
Thanks,

1 Like

I think it is a reasonable excuse. Not many people mow their lawn in winter. Although I have a similar clause in my tenancy agreements stating that the property should be returned in the same condition’ it was originally let, I will overlook such minor issues which are quickly rectified. I am just glad to get my property back without any damage. A landlord should expect to do a bit of cleaning and minor maintenance between tenancies anyway.

10 Likes

Another way to look at it is you are feeling the effect of tenants poor planning. It could have been mowed and tidied prior to winter.

5 Likes

I have to wonder whether these are prank postings. Tenant not mown grass?

6 Likes

I have not cut my grass as it has snowed. Disgraceful, I should be out there with the sissors

5 Likes

I thought the same as Graham . Is this question for real?

4 Likes

Good one that is, mate

It is a genuine question.

Before my current tenant moved in, I had to pay someone to tidy up the entire garden.
Now, before he moves out, I visited the property and the garden is not tidy at all. I will have to spend the same amount of money again to attract new tenants.

That is why I asked this question whether landlords are allowed to use the deposit amount to tidy up the garden (the photos in the inventory shows clearly it was neat and tidy when the tenant moved in).

Please do not discourage people from posting their genuine doubts.
Open Rent is a great place. I love Open Rent’s Rent Now service and forum.
Thanks to OpenRent.

4 Likes

I’m a bit baffled at the pokes at this genuine question. The garden is part of the rental & should be kept up just as the flat. Tenant shouldn’t rent a flat with garden if tenant can’t keep up. Yes, I would make a charge. It’s clear in my contract they are responsible for it.

7 Likes

I think WHETHER the lawn is mown depends on the WEATHER.
This year has been particularly awful. Too wet to mow then unseasonable warmth - not drying it out enough to mow but making it grow furiously, then freezing. Our previously good lawn at home has suffered horribly and I expect your tenants grass is the same.
Cut the man some slack, if he has kept it fine up to now. It will eventually recover and no tenant lives on the lawn.

3 Likes

and there are not many gardeners out there now as it is a waste of time

1 Like

Such a minor issue. If everything else ok count your blessings!

6 Likes

Sorry but if it is important to you that the garden remains tidy, why not include the cost of a hours of gardening once a month into the rent?
We have properties in London, Bath and Bristol and in each of these cities, you can walk down any street popular with renters and immediately tell which property is rented… because renters don’t generally care that much about what the front garden looks like. I cannot understand landlords that don’t include basic garden maintenance (and outdoor window cleaning) in their costs when first working out what rent they need if they want their property to look good from the outside. To me, it’s a no brainer.

2 Likes

If you took this to a tribunal, I think you would be hard pushed to prove that the garden needing a bit of maintenance is not wear and tear after a year’s tenancy…

3 Likes

im with Linda 26 etc, its such a minor thing cutting a bit of grass. I dont think you have experienced real issues where a tenant can wreck your place and steal your stuff. dont expect any help from the police if this happens and dont expect to recover anything thru the courts.
Keep your tenants onside until they have left and you have your keys back or one day you may find out. cutting a bit of grass is inconsequential in the scheme of things

4 Likes

In my opinion, you can let go of this one, especially if the rest of the property is in a good shape. Or point it out to the tenant and see what they say. A bit of flexibility goes a long way.

2 Likes

How long is the grass - if it is up to your waist and full of weeds you may have a case.
If it is just a few inches high and cured by a single mow just go and do it !

Somewhere in the middle is the switchover point - and where that is will depend on the condition of he rest of the garden and house.

But don’t get a reputation as a vexatious landlord.

2 Likes

I would be amazed if most tenants would bother mowing the grass at the end of their tenancy. It’s all part of a landlord’s life.

4 Likes

Your call. If it’s in the inventory you have a right to receive the property in the same condition. If it’s a quick job, just move on

1 Like