Apologies if this has been asked before but I can’t find an answer anywhere, neither here OR nor on LL Zone…
My tenant has emailed me with a 30 day notice to end their tenancy. They’ve been great tenants, so everything is amicable. They were originally on a 6 month AST but that switched over to periodic several months ago.
I’ve not replied to their email yet. I’d very much appreciate it if someone could advise me on next steps before I do. i.e.
- Do I need to email them back accepting their notice?
- Do I need to explain the terms of acceptance?
- Does the date for the checkout inventory ideally need to be as close to their move out day as possible?
- what happens with the deposit that is being held?
- what do I need to do as far as the Openrent dashboard is concerned?
- should I relist the property onto the market asap?
- anything else I should do or say?
Just one other potential complication… The rent has always been due (and paid) on the 20th of each month. This continued to be the case even after it went periodic. The tenant, however served their 30 day notice on the 8th of this month (January) and said their move out day would be the 9th of Feb. I read somewhere that “the 30 day notice must expire on the last date of the payment period”, which I believe means the 30th day of their notice must fall on the 20th…
So given that they gave notice on the 8th of Jan, a full 30 days from now wouldn’t fall on the 20th of Jan. So
does it mean that their 30 day notice actually should have been given on the 20th of Jan? Therefore their earliest move-out date would be the 20th of Feb?
Thanks in advance!