End of tenant misery!

Feel like I must mention how jubilant I am having just got rid of a problem tenant! I don’t think tenants realise how much misery they can inflict on their landlord! Years of stress due to an unwilling unresponsive selfish imbecile.

When I went into the game I knew it was a question of when and not if I get a problem tenant, it took 4 years or so and what started off a good tenancy went bad after a few years. Was originally a couple and she took care of things until she moved out (because her partner didn’t face upto a thing!).

I’ve been lucky I suppose as only had one bad tenant out of 10 or so.

Anyway it’s a great feeling for him to be gone at last!!

7 Likes

wouldnt you just love a bad tenant list?

11 Likes

Yes if only that were to happen!!

3 Likes

I keep hearing that a bad landlord list is more likely. Seems grossly unfair.

5 Likes

My congratulations! By the title of this thread though I thought it was a happy tenant who finally got a mortgage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve just had one of those. Leaving after almost 8 years of trouble free tenancy to buy her own home, and I’m very happy for her, even though it’s our loss.

Not luck with that ratio Mark, probably just careful, or at the very least blessed…!
Fingers crossed it is an end, although I must say, if you continue as a landlord it will probably not be your last. Please forgive my negativity. :crossed_fingers:
I officially became an OAP last week, so I can plead entitlement to being a ‘grumpy old man’ :blush:

4 Likes

Thats the only good thing about being old … Grumpy !!

3 Likes

It’d be good to have a landlord list too.

1 Like

There is one with some local councils… Far more bad tenants than bad landlords 13million people rent. . under 3 million landlords rent out homes Law of averages. Housing associations are owed one billion in rents not including private landlords . That says it all

7 Likes

Colin…I’m going to have that put on a tshirt!

2 Likes

Mark 10. I don t think there is a T Shirt big enough to put the feelings of a landlord on !

2 Likes

Yes, well our son kicked the tenant out ( it was also his best mate since they were 7 years old they are now both 20 ) but I’m glad as I’m a recovering breast cancer survivor and my son just had enough the damage caused by his mates cronies Low lives when my son was working -he caught him out and to be honest I’m fed up of great landlords rights getting wiped out and bad tenants ( not all are but in my experience over 10 years the majority are not good ) tenants have all the rights landlords have less the damage left by that tenant is £1500 his mum was paying it then decided not to hey ho live and learn hence our son is happier on his own there that other tenant lost his rights the minute he went over the line and this was his second chance but just glad he’s out now , they are still mates - just

3 Likes

One would wonder what constitutes “bad” tenant or for that matter a bad person…?

1 Like

I’m my opinion a bad tenant does some or all of the following….doesn’t allow landlord or work person access to conduct safety tests (this is a big problem and stops landlord conducting their legal responsibilities) or remedial work, repeatedly damages property and does not resolve, late with rent, or misses rent, leaves without the required notice or does a runner, nuisance with neighbours (loud music anti social, etc), illegal activity, doesn’t respect property, does not respond to landlord queries, has dogs/cats when not allowed, sublets, smokes in doors without consent, doesn’t let landlord know when someone else moves in, the list goes on……a tenant could be graded accordingly, as a landlord I would have no issue being graded…. Who decides now that’s another matter!

4 Likes

yes and the goverment drives up rental prices as landlords sell up rather then endure the difficulties of gaining possession to your own property that you have worked hard for. if i were a young man i think i would emigrate so many rules now, so much legislation, so hard for entrepreneurs

4 Likes

See now I’m a tenant and a great tenant I pay on time every month without fail, Ive never even been late with a payment. I don’t have parties, or play loud music I don’t hound my landlady I keep the property in good repair and I am respectful of my neighbours. I am a full

However trying to find a landlord to accept me as a tenant as I have an IVA which is over in 18 months and I only got an IVA to help due to a period of a year and half of being in and out of hospital, so through no fault of my own but I am classed as a bad applicant because of this despite me being a model tenant and records of bills being paid ontime everytime, it means nothing so there are good tenants out there we just need to be given a break.

You could get a tenant with an immaculate credit rating that may not pay or pay on time or could host parties, loud music or destroy the house, yet someone like me gets dismissed its a catch 22 sadly and trust me from my side of the fence its hard to find a good landlord/lady who takes this on and understands it.

3 Likes

Hi Mark. I feel your pain. After 41 years of being a landlord, I have only had one bad tenant. Now, after all this time, I have another who is a total and utter nightmare. We have done so much for him over the past 4 years - including getting rid of another owner’s tenant who was causing him great problems. Fixing everything the minute it needed fixing etc. etc. Now we have issued an S21 and he’s supposed to be going at the end of June. I’ve been searching for local properties which meet his very low rent needs, and there is nothing. I am terrified that come end June (we have OpenRent booked to check him out, since he can be violent, and nearly felled my 82-year-old husband recently, but I doubt he’ll be there and we’ll never get the keys back) that we will find he is still there because there just isn’t anywhere for him to move to, locally. I look forward to being able to celebrate, as you are now. Enjoy your moment!

3 Likes

next time you have to see him take along a “Minder”… The last thing you need is to be knocked over

2 Likes

Ive rented three times, and had the landlord from hell once. It hot so bad I hated hoing home. That says it all for me.

so with a bad landlord you can move on easily Which you did … With a bad tenant a landlord cannot move them on at all easily.

2 Likes