Evicted on false grounds

Yeah, 100% sure of that.

So… I understand that it is your belief you have a case. That’s not the same as actually having one. You’ll see how the burden of proof is on you if you bring a claim, exactly how it is when LLs want to evict someone. It is exactly as easy as saying things changed after you moved put. You’ll have to prove your claim. And again, what financial damages have been inflicted?

But, yeah, if you don’t want people who know what they are talking about to pitch in this is probably not the right forum.

And… What does it matter if she has 16 properties? You don’t know anything about her finances. Most likely she is struggling with interests of 7-9% if she had to remortgage properties.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding based on the legal advice I’ve been given - I’ll go on that over your heavily biased opinion, though appreciate your reply nonetheless.

The evidence has now been submitted, I’ve told you there has been costs and where they were, I don’t think it’s really necessary that you get a breakdown.

I’ve mentioned in most replies I appreciate the responses, though you appear to be cherry picking selective bits and then making assumptions. Similarly, if you don’t like my replies then there’s no requirement for you to reply.

I mention the 16 properties, why of all the 16 properties was it the one I was staying in that was chosen to ‘move’ her daughter into? Because she had to find a way to put the rent up, that’s why. Shady, deceitful and pretty dreadful morally.

Ok, I will let you get on with your process.

Hopefully I have misunderstood something essential that will allow you to get some money out of the LL.

Do keep us posted. I’m interested in hearing the outcome :+1:

When people first post on here with their own heavily biased opinion it is best just to let them get on with it as it just goes back and forth. when they do not get the answer they are looking for, waste of time in the end/ >(just watch there will be a reply after this) Over and out.

3 Likes

Dear AR,
I have never contributed on here before but your post made me want to reply. As a landlord myself, my sympathy lies with you. As much as Scottish landlords may have been disgruntled by the 3% cap and i have every sympathy for those landlords who tried to keep rents at a reasonable rate and then had their hands tied by this rate cap, but the law should be the law.
In your position i would feel equally aggrieved that I was made to move out under what, on the face of it, seem like false pretences. I would find it hard to live with myself as a landlord if I went down that route.
As for the legalities, I have no idea how that would work but feel you are probably going to find it almost impossible to prove that the “daughter” moving in, didn’t simply just change her mind; an argument they will undoubtedly use. I don’t know if it’s any consolation to you, that you are now settled into your new flat, I hope it is. Finally sympathies for your loss, such a shame you have experienced this at such a vulnerable time.

7 Likes

No it is not! You are commenting on the TENANTS DISCUSSION forum

You can waste an awful lot of time and energy trying to get revenge, but what’s the point? You’d fight this for years before getting any kind of resolution. Walk away and enjoy your life instead.

2 Likes

a most interesting post and discussion. the two avenues to consider are the council and shelter - they might even run with it. In England rents have shot up as inflation one year hit 10% and rents have matched.
The SNP applied a 3% cap and it’s a vote getter, there are more tenants than landlords out there. Trouble is it means more LL’s are likely to sell up and then less rental units are available and rents go up sometimes steeply. Your landlord appears to have tried to get around the 3% cap by washing the tenant. Objectively it makes business sense but not very nice when it’s your home. I hope you will be able to put this behind you before too long but it’s a process to move through.

3 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate that. That’s a really lovely reply.

Yeah, I’m probably coming across as slightly bitter about the chain of events, though I’d say that’s fairly understandable.

I’ve taken it on for wrongful termination, I think it’s important not to just allow the LL to get away with it. Whether it comes to anything, that’s for the tribunal to decide, I know that my partner would never have let me sit back and just take what’s happened, so there’s a bit of me that’s been driven on by that too.

2 Likes

It really isn’t taking up much energy or headspace, though I’m still determined to at least be heard in relation to how I’ve been treated.

2 Likes

I know you have your opinion and it may be correct and think you will struggle to prove it and be warned if you need rental accommodation ever again as no LL would touch you will a barge pole win or lose and just because your lawyers or shelter say you will win , I personally take it will a pinch of salt .Ive seen on LL who 100% did something illegal but the tenant couldn’t prove it and cost of 11575 £ against the tenant.
I would write a harsh letter to LL and move on as you don’t know what the LL has up his sleeve.
Good luck

1 Like

How will other LL know about the legal case? OP doesn’t need this particular LL’s reference, now that they’re in a new accommodation.

Yeah, it’s safe to say the days of requesting a reference from that particular LL have probably gone.

Dear AR, I am a landlord, and I am very much on your side. As a landlord who sticks to the rules, I detest those who give the rest of s a bad name. Of course we only hear your side of it, but from what you said, this landlord was exploiting a loophole wrt to 3% rent cap: that is, it only applies to existing tenants, so if a new tenancy is created, they can start off with a new rent at any level they think the market can take. This also applies to joint tenancies and has affected many students and HMO sharers: if one moves out, and a new one takes their place, a new agreement is drawn up and the rent reset. I hope you pursue this, to let this unscrupulous landlord know they did wrong. If you do, make sure you have all your evidence gathered into a file along with proof of your rent paid, all safety certificates, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks Christine, I’ve got a strong paper trail, hopefully with time I’ll get the chance to present all of the evidence I’ve collated.