Eviction Petition

Whilst I quit this forum, nevertheless, we need all the support we can muster and push back against the tide of recent anti-landlord legislation. This petition, whether successful or not, at least sends a message some of us are getting fed-up and opens up the conversation about how landlords’ treatment is failing the fairness test. Please pass it on.

3 Likes

If asked, I don’t think I could justify why 2 weeks arrears is sufficient to make someone homeless. There is an argument to be made about fairness and distress, but this is not it.

1 Like

I think the key part is to allow landlords to evict. I’m lucky enough to have good long term tenants who pay and look after the properties so I certainly wouldn’t want to evict after 14 days if they encountered hard times. However I dont think we should have a legal obligation to house non paying tenants for a long period and the current system makes it almost impossible for tenants who aren’t perfect to find new homes so it would be much better for them if eviction rules changed as far more landlords would be likely to give tenants benefit of the doubt.

4 Likes

Hi Martin,

Thank you for that.

Something has to change and the landlord having fairer options to evict bad tenants for whatever reason, might even change the behaviour of some people if they knew they couldn’t get away with it to the extent they do now.

2 Likes

But 6 months to evict someone is equally unrealistic, yet this is actually happening. Landlord representatives, such as NRLA, are ineffective with weak positions that sell landlords down the river with too many compromises that pander to left-wing tenant advocacy groups. Whilst you may regard 2 weeks’ notice as extreme, these tenant groups would be quite happy to increase notice periods to 12 months or even sell your rental at a discount to your tenant. Though I think you’ll find 2 weeks is a bit of an ambit claim but, then again, no more unrealistic than the other side are pressing for. Hopefully there is a compromise, but you need to start from a place you are prepared to move from.

3 Likes

I agree with much of what has been said here, but I do fear that if the place we start from makes us look like greedy, heartless b$$tards then people will not even engage. I hope I’m wrong on this becuase I agree that something needs to be done and it does need to be robust.

2 Likes

For decades Landlords have been reasonable and where has it got us? The press have given us a reputation which is very underserved, bearing in mind most returns are about 5% gross - therefore expenses have to be taken into account so really making less that inflation! As Ranjan says they will not change their mind what ever stance we take so lets start with the Australian premise of 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Signed the petition when it was 350 people - well done Ranjan. At last, a brilliant Landlord taking a stance and hopefully bringing Landlords together to have a voice.

1 Like

A Big thank you for organising this petition.
Yes landlords are so despised it awful. Ive been a landlord for many decades and I take care of my tenants. I respond to problems they have swiftly, I keep the properties it great condition. I often get great feedback from tenants. We provide a greatly needed service. Many people dont want to buy a property and prefer to rent for all sorts of reasons. Ive seen a number of council properties in my time and mostly the local authority keep their properties in a dreadful state yet they too hound private landlords. Im sure there are uncaring landlords like there are in any field of business, but I’ve never meet one! All the landlords I know provide and professional caring service that is in great need! Yet the press and the authorities wont see that. They see us a unscrupulous yet we are just business people who generally the public appreciate.

So good luck with the petition. Its time we pushed back and told them to get off our backs.
If I can be of any help, please ask.
Kind regards
Vincent

housing association places are sometimes bad as well

Thanks again Martin for seeing the relevance of community such as this, together we can achieve much. This petition has been pushed further than you can imagine, thank you for sharing. By this we hope our voice will be heard and government will act.

1 Like