Government Redress Scheme

Hi,

I received the Openrent newsletter and it stated that all landlords have to join the redress scheme, however on their website it states only estate agents. I’m a bit confused I will be a private landlord using open rent as my agent, so do i need to sign up?

Thanks
Alex

1 Like

Same here, could someone clarify please?

The NLA says that the Government has confirmed landlords will have to join a redress scheme or face a fine of up to £5,000.

Currently, landlords are not required to register with a complaints system. However, Communities Secretary James Brokenshire has announced that private landlords will be legally required to become members of a redress scheme, or face a fine of up to £5,000 if they fail to do so.

The new Housing Complaints Resolution Service will be developed with a redress reform working group made up of representatives from across the sector, working with the industry and consumers to make it easier for people to claim compensation. No date has been set for the introduction of the new rules.

Question for OpenRent. Are you registered with the Government Redress Scheme?

Hi all, @Clive @Salah_Eddin @Alex3

Sorry for the slow reply on this one!

Clive — Yes, OpenRent is a member of the Property Ombudsman.

Alex — Yes it looks like all landlords will have to join the scheme, but as the newsletter said, the Government have given absolutely no time-frame for this, leaving landlords with some anxiety.

You will need to sign up when the plans are brought forward, but at the moment, we just don’t know when that will be.

We are trying to get answers, but it’s not usually the Government’s MO to put deadlines on themselves.

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the clarification.

Alex

Thanks for your comment Sam.