Government's Section 21 Consultation Is Now Open: Have Your Say

The Government has opened its public consultation on plans to scrap Section 21 evictions.

Section 21 can be used to evict tenants once a tenancy’s fixed term expires. Theresa May’s government promised to end this method of eviction a few months ago. More info on that here.

If you would like to give your views on this issue directly to the Government, you can fill out their consultation form here.

As long as this government changes it in a way it protects landlords from bad tenants who don’t pay, then I am happy to provide a type of hospitality service for the tenant where I can alleviate their fears of being evicted without a valid reason.

I also despise landlords who think they can just ‘play with people’ giving them a home then a few months later evicting them for no reason because they want their house back for whatever reason.

Giving a good tenant 2 month notice in this day and age making families relocate to new schools, find a new place, arrange new funds is also in my view ridiculous. Usually it can take up to a year to find a new place. Children could be studying for exams and no one needs an idiotic type of landlord displacing them without valid reasons. I have been on both sides of the fence, especially as a tenant in my early days where I experienced a landlord changeover, and then the new one gave me a month to leave so he could rehouse to migrant Chinese workers 20 to a 2-bed house for more money.

The laws to protect tenants AND landlords needs to change.

2 Likes

Totall agree Eddy a good tenant is worth hanging on to. I have two of over 20 years with me and a handfull of 6 or 7 years. Good point about the schools

1 Like

The way that the use of Section 21 is described is just false. It is explained here:

https://www.conservativehome.com/localgovernment/2019/07/rosalind-beck-the-governments-war-on-landlords-will-only-make-the-housing-crisis-worse-for-the-lowest-paid.html