Here is why Rentals are hard to find

We get many posters who cannot find a place to live and usually blame landlords. Here are the reasons why you are finding it difficult. . Not a full list but best I can think of. 1 HB is not straight away paid to the Landlord It used to be paid to the landlord , but then the goverment said that paying the tenant the rent money would help them manage their finances. HA HA, if it is paid to the landlord then the Tenant can cancel this arrangement at any time. 2 It takes Months to evict a non paying tenant thru the courts ,cost to the tenant nothing., to the landlord plentyā€¦ 3 the tenant pays nothing for a reference, the landlord has to pay. 4 the landlord has to provide all sorts of certificates to show the state of the property. 5 The goverment SOLD off thru Local authorities thousands of council houses ,decades ago , now there is a shortage. . 6 The Local Authority can licence (TAX) landlords with HMO s .7 Tax relief on mortgages done away with 8 All the expense to set up a tenancy is on the .Landlord. 9 people get shirty if a landlord says no pets . 10 Section 21 may be done away with. This is all GOVERMENT and LOCAL AUTHORITY passed , not by landlords > Hence blame is with the goverment Landlords will sell up ,Tenants will find it harder

19 Likes
  1. landlords selling in droves under the threat of having to spend up to 10k on energy efficiency measures so that the tenant can save 10 pence per week
14 Likes

1.2million people came to live in UK in last 2 yearsā€¦no way housing supply can keep up

7 Likes

Canā€™t wait to see how badly the proposals in upcoming Rentersā€™ Reform Bill upsets the rented accommodation market. I donā€™t want to sell, but I know if I do, I will not struggle at all to find a buyer and very likely abroad. Yet more good landlords and good property will be taken out of circulation. Bad landlords wonā€™t care. They already operate as they wish. New rules? Blah blah blah is all they hear.

7 Likes

The passage of the new legislation about S21 was announced this morning on the news. This means our current tenants are our last and the flat will be up for sale. Fortunately the recent intense demand for rentals will make it easier to sell to people opting to buy instead of renting. Weā€™ll give the current tenants first refusal to buy. Canā€™t sell to another landlord with tenants in situ as this morningā€™s news has just knocked 15% off its value if sold with tenants in situ.

6 Likes

Up to date figures will be released 25th May. Estimates are around 900,000 in 12 months.

1 Like

Rightmove this morning
Houses available to rent down 43%since 2019
Rent referrals up 173% ā€˜

Donā€™t need to be a brain surgeon to figure this one out!

9 Likes

Spot on Colin! Good on you for pointing this out

1 Like

As a private tenant myself Iā€™m so sick of this government creating an impossible housing market due to the disproportionate responsibility put on landlords and not giving them most security possible!! A no fault eviction on paper is just that nobody is at fault and most landlords may need their home back for a number of reasons. Most landlords are not going to evict a good tenant unless they can no longer afford the property (again probably due to legislation) or need to move in themselves! So canā€™t see any court being able to force any of those scenarios on landlords. Why is the government not applying any common sense here and getting rid of the most ridiculous rules like allowing tenants the responsibility and THE CHOICE to pay the LLā€™s themselves? This is whatā€™s driving the landlords to stay away from low income families including disabled and those who have no choice but to be on benefits. Some on here may know Iā€™ve lobbied my MP and even Michael Gove about this and been completely ignored! I feel totally helpless so you landlords must feel 100% worse and I can totally understand why many of you will be moving out of the rental market all together and the fact we have a government that is incapable of just applying common sense to so much of these legislation changes means that the housing crisis is actually going to get worse year on year. Another opportunity also missed that could help landlords and in turn help tenants is reducing court costs for eviction such as a one off payment of day Ā£1000 to stop the disgraceful way landlords are forced to pay unlimited costs fighting someone who has a bottomless pit in a tenant entitled to legal aid! This needs reform regardless because it should not be acceptable to use tax payers money to defend a tenant who is being evicted due to things such as criminal damage, non payment of rent, antisocial behaviour and many other reasons. I wish I knew how to get through to this government to make them see that all of these issues are common sense and the cost to taxpayers is going to sky rocket due to having to put so many more people in hotels and the like. Do from a tenant to all private landlords Iā€™m sorry you are treated like this and if it wasnā€™t for you guys I donā€™t know where I would be! Plus being disabled Iā€™m one of those tenants that most of you will avoid as I am solely reliant on housing benefits via the Universal Credit (this benefit is who pays tenants directly) and Iā€™m lucky my landlord took a chance and Iā€™ve never missed a rent payment. So I wrote this post just to give a POV from a tenants perspective and let you know many tenants are on your side. You are providing a huge life necessity, the foundation everyone needs because a home is the very foundation for EVERYONE. So again THANK YOU. I only wish I could help more.

14 Likes

Much appreciated, Julie

3 Likes

Julie1 Common sense does not apply to goverments One glaring example ā€œsmartā€ motorways. doing away wth hard shoulders. So we can get quicker to the next traffic jam. How many have died ?

5 Likes

Youā€™re exactly right! I just need to have a little optimism!
However Smart motorways are like on purpose accidents and the only guarantee is that someone will arrive in heaven before anyone gets to their destination quicker!

2 Likes

I would like to say that even in the court judge would not
do anything even when the tenant has found be given the fraud
employment reference in order to get into the tenancy.
In past one of the tenant wrote landlord reference by herself
in order to get into the another rental rental property and algg if also lied in the court about the landlord.

I have found that the court makes decisions which are
more towards the tenantā€™s side even all evidences are
there also clearly proof that the tenants are clearly lying.

Iā€™ve never been in court but I assumed it would be more about physical evidence rather than story telling! This is something I definitely do not understand. Why would a judge whoā€™s there to uphold the law totally disregard evidence just because of a sob story?! That unreal.
You know over the last year or so that I have been on here Iā€™m actually gobsmacked that at the injustices that so many of you landlords have gone through.
You guys amaze me that you still carry on providing homes to people who need them Iā€™d always said that, If I would ever find myself in a position to buy property to rent out Iā€™d do it but now I wouldnā€™t dream of it. All that you provide for others and you donā€™t even have the law on your side itā€™s a disgrace.

4 Likes

Julie, I want to say that I have very good tenants now
and also in the past. But once in a while get very bad
experience.

With tenant and his colleague gave a fraud employment
reference. I paid to Openrent -Rentguard for full reference and
it was passed.
The reason we pay the reference company to get reference.

I would like to suggest that to all landlords that to check the
Employers details online in companies house and also look
on social media about the prospective tenant.

The company where the tenant said was working was dormant
and I found out when I checked online when the tenant created the problem.
Also never trust anyone verbally and do something that wanted unless if it was said in writing clearly by them.

I will make some suggestions for other landlords to
have clear. These type of tenants and their colleagues
are professional crooks and because of them genuine tenants
are affected for finding the rental properties.

I am not sure how the reference company would stop
these type of tenants who provide the fraud reference.

1 Like

Did councils sell alot of property to what became housing associations?.
These I have had and prove very expensive

they sold at a huge discount to long term renters of the council properties at first ā€¦Then later many sold to or formed " not for profit" housing associations.

I just wish landlords would at least check people such as myself can provide solid evidence of bills rent etc upto date we are not all bad some of us are genuine hard working people just trying to live. Its honestly soul destroying being ignored and turned away because you get help ā€¦ even without the help im struggling to get a reply

2 Likes

Mass shortage of rentals. Huge number of applicants per property. I realise itā€™s hard, itā€™s far more agro and uncertainty for landlord. People will always take the proven less risky option, especially with something so critical.

I would say in your first correspondence make sure you emphasise never missing payment etc. All the positives.

1 Like

Excellent Colin, what a pity the government have not got the savvy to realise the damage they are doing to the PRS.

3 Likes