How to rent flat in Ashington

Hi guys
I bought terraced house last year in november in Ashington (Im not local) . House is split (its still single title ) as 3 bed and 2 bed flat . The 3 bed flat is empty for about 6 months :open_mouth: It had some viewings + I had some potential tenants but it always felt through. Flat is in good/ok condition .
At the moment 2 bed is rented so Im not losing money but Im not making any money either which is not great .
I think tenant in 2 bed flat is moving out soon so I will need to find someone asap .
Can anyone recommend solution ? Do I just wait or do I keep lowering rent until I find someone ( its 415Ā£ pcm ) ?
Any recommendations are appreciated.

Jan

Have you done any market research on scale and nature of demand; rent levels etc? 3 bed flats will always be harder to let as they are competing with houses, which tend to come with outside space and more convenience.

I havenā€™t really done much research tbh which I should have done . There is shared garden with 2 bed flat and I believe it is priced correctly now.

You could accept pets. Sorry Colin :rofl::guide_dog:

2 Likes

Jan,
You donā€™t say if the 2 bed is above the three bed, or if they have seperate entrances?.
But you do state part access to a garden but is all yours and is it split between with both properties.
Apologies for not asking if there was any date like itā€™s the local council planning to build a carpark or anything they have to tell you about like selling it at forced sale value?

Jan, Thereā€™s lots of people here that will guide you in the right direction.
I donā€™t know the layout, and without spending money by doing construction work? Taking what has already been said about 3 bed flats v houses. Is it at all possible to create a studio apartment? So you would have 2 X 2 bed plus a studio one bed in lounge with bathroom/kitchen facilities. Perhaps a 3 bed flat could be split into two large one bedroom units, or two small two bed units, or possibly simpler to alter the 3 bed (dry.wall?) To a 2 bed plus studio.

I guess it depends on position as much as anything, I think the view of a fried chicken store wonā€™t beat the views that youā€™d find in rural areas. I do know that most people are looking for somewhere secure that they can afford and feel safe in. I think the figure that you gave quite low. Is it a built up area?

ā€œWife Contacts letting agency after seeing ideal properties in Ashingtonā€.
ā€œIā€™ll have the downstairs flat, and as for my husband, well he can live upstairs with the storageā€
Jan if I was married, I could be tempted by that arrangement :rofl:

Have you considered waiting until the 2 bed is empty and changing it into two houses? I know itā€™s an outgoing, but value-wise with a garden access. Wouldnā€™t that increase the rental value? .
One staircase required, but the difference in rent from 2 flats to 2 houses, there I think youā€™ll notice a large enough difference?..

Although if your 3 bed flat is on the ground floor, and you made sure it had garden access you may be surprised by the amount of disabled people who would appreciate a ground floor flat. Even if it means you keeping your eyes open to see if thereā€™s a pathway or plot that would help you expand the garden because it isnā€™t expensive but it could help you offer the all important garden. During to he watmer months a garden becomes an outside room and Jan if you donā€™t have a garden especially in summer it would lower interest, a family I think is unlikely as a tenant without one

I think if you did the little bit of research that someone suggested is a must, & think you must be extremely busy to purchase a property and have an empty 3 bed flat after 6 months? did you ever advertise it?. I know you said you hadnā€™t had much luck.

Is there s floorplan? Even a basic sketch would give us more ideas, photos or anything your surveyor had drawn up would be helpful too.
Jan, there is always a solution, and Iā€™m sure that all will become clear.

Relax :relaxed: and donā€™t let it worry you, not knowing about the area is not going to help me suggest the best you could do.
If the area is quiet, and you could fit a chair lift for the upstairs flat, petjsps alter the bathrooms to wet rooms and then you would be in s good position to rent to those who have s disability, a carer & any equipment? You can advertise here and maybe take a look at the disability housing register for further information?.

Or you could just advertise your vacancy and see what response you get?
All the best, kind regards Lynda :cherry_blossom:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.