Landlord help regarding block of flats

Hi All

Please help us out… We are looking to purchase a block of 10 studio flats with seperate kitchen and bathrooms. Built Mid 90s each has own boiler, gas meter and water meter, electricity is shared but we will look to change this to each having own meteres. It has been used in the past as social housing and has two office rooms downstairs each with bathroom and kitchen, again own boilers and meters except electric.

Every studio is under 30sqm and each has its own registered address bar the two “Offices”.

Our question is would these be able to rent on the private sector as studios? we are worried re size?

What would the chances of eventually converting the “Offices” into studio flats aswell?

Any help or advice would be amazing, as the council or anyone we have contacted ths far have not helped one bit.

Thank you.

sounds as if you need to get a professional guy in to sort plans out… 30 sq m in not very big Can 2 places be made into one? Do the L A rate them seperately for council tax? If so they have deemed them suitable?

1 Like

Thank you, I have been digging and yes all flats are council tax band A so am i correct in thinking that despite the size these can be let to the private sector?

We wish to leave them as studios its just the “offices” which are the exact same layout and size just have not been registered with an address and i cant find any other information on them nor original planning as its pre being online. so as far as i can see they are just rooms within the building each with a kitchen and bathroom.

will be ok to let then. . As to the offices a precedent has been set ,so put in a planning application and see what happens. Planning are unpredictable

Than you all for you r help and comments what if i were to sacrfice 1 studio and combine the 2 offices to make a 3 bedroom flat and 7 studios size would qudrouple so would then this need planning or building regs many tahnsk again

to re arrange will require planning and building control. Planning ,have a word with them first along with a decent plan on paper of what you would like to do. They do take into account density, parking , access fire safety , landscaping and so on , so be prepared

1 Like

Check also is a freeholder around or any covenants in place that limits what you can do. Need a solicitor for that?

1 Like

Give the planning department a call for an informal chat. I have always found them very helpfull. Is it a converted building already? If so then it may be a s257 HMO and at some point you might need a licence.

1 Like

Thanks colin the sale is for the whole block freehold included any ideas if the expansion of one flat to form a 3 bed incorpating the office would be under pd or full planning

whole block freehold is a winner . i have done similar on a smaller scale. Check for any hidden covenants or restrictions

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help.

So basically we would own the freehold for the whole block, 8 of all the studios are about 25sq m. We would be sacrificing one studio but then incorporating the offices it to make a 3 bedroom flat with bathroom and also a toilet so all together a nice living space.

So I know you can say for sure but do you think this would be pd or something that would need planning permission, we know the council would obviously have to review the council tax band.

Hi please see plans for proposed 3 bed flat if that helps

Hi David it’s not converted was built as a whole block mid 90s planning approval for 8 flats studios but small

25m sq that is small. My bedroom is bigger !.. is this in a good leting area for such a small living space area.? I do not know what planning is like in your area, take that sketch along and ask them. I have always found planning to be o k if a little varied in opinion

1 Like

Yes place a dummy advert and had a good 30 enquiries in 24 hours it’s a good area. Can’t thank you enough for all your input

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.