I need some advice please

I rented student accommodation in the year 2022 from an agency. I moved out in the year 2023 as I didn’t want to renew the contract. I requested my deposit after moving out and the agency informed me that they were waiting for the landlord to get back to them. 3 months after I still haven’t received my deposit with no definite reason. I left it as I didn’t know what to do. Two months later I received an email from the agency that the landlord mentioned that we overused our utility whilst we were in as we are 7 students living in the shared apartment, and when they calculated all the expenses the range was about £700 plus. Additionally, they didn’t inform us all while we were in. Furthermore, they minus the total of the utility from our deposit and they asked us the pay the remaining £400 plus. I was quite upset and I told them I would be paying for any of this requirement. Firstly, because I was this was not communicated with us whilst we were there and my deposit was taken afterwards. The agency now wants to proceed with a money claim from the court country if I don’t pay the remaining money request. Also, it was said that the money claim was in the contract clause 3.5. However, is that the legal way to make money? And what should I do? Please advise.

Did the rental contract you signed include any ‘fair use’ policy etc for the utilities. They will only be able to claim what is allowed in the contract you signed. Have you got a copy of it & read it?

Thank you for your response. No, I have not. I will request the agreement contract and read through it again just to be sure.

Your tenancy agreement and the deposit Prescribed Information must list the issues for which the landlord is allowed to request deductions from the deposit. Is this on the list?

Has the landlord/agent included evidence of the useage and how it exceeded any agreed cap?

In the first instance, I suggest you dispute the deductions and ask for adjudication.

You haven’t mention which protection scheme your deposit was protected by. What does your deposit paperwork say about this?