Inreasing the rental amount in Openrent

I have sent section 13 a month ago to the tenant about the increase in the rent, so have done this correctly.

The tenants have not responded and the new rent is due in about 10 days.

I have been told that if the tenant does not respond or contest then this acts as them having accepted.

Do they have to pay the increased amount for the first month and only then do you amend the payment amount within the Open rent system for the next upcoming rent or do you have to add the rent increase in the Open rent system before the first new is due?

I am confused because on one hand you are told to wait for the tenant to accept section 13 by paying the first rental increase.

But it does seem like you should also adjust this within Openrent by adding the increased amount as they send a communication asking the tenant to pay the new rent.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Just pick up the phone to politely follow up. they could claim they didnt get it. next time put it out in good time and chase earlier to confirm receipt. just open the conversation to see if everything is ok, whenever things go into “amber” its time to talk.

I had a tenant last year who wouldnt pay the increase then ignored the section 21 then he stopped paying then he buggered off. The reality is I have no chance of recovering the money. That’s who ridiculous renting is today make no mistake the tenant is in control so if you have to miss a months increase just accept it for good relations

1 Like

If you posted via 1st class post, it is deemed delivered. As say, always a good idea to follow up via phone and even a visit so you can fit in an inspection.

If they do not pay you AST should say you can charge interest at the declared rate, normally x above the BoE rate. You of course have the option not to charge this but do have the legal right if in the AST.

Make it easy on yourself, send all comms direct, collect all rents direct to your bank.

1 Like

No reason to not send important documents recorded therefore you have proof. It costs a few pounds.

2 Likes

covers your back and is tax deductable

1 Like