Is my room rent classed as a lodge or Tenancy?

I am looking to rent out a room in my house. This room has its own bathroom and kitchenette areas. There is also an access door from my part of the house to this area of the “flat”.

In this situation is the flat classed as a lodgers or tenancy agreement ?

If you don’t share living accommodation with the occupant then they won’t be a licensee. However if the accommodation is part of the same building and it is converted, not purpose built that way, then it is likely that the occupant would be what Shelter describes as “an occupier with basic protection”. You would still need a court order to remove them, but would only have to give them reasonable notice, usually one period of the tenancy".

1 Like