Issued section21 but is it valid due to no certificates or booklets given

Hi there,
Was given a section 21 on 02/05/2024 to leave by 02/07/2024 but I have a few questions.
Was never given an EPC, How to Rent or up to date gas certificate but was given a gas and electrical certificate when I signed my initial tenancy agreement on 29/06/2018, the agent sent someone round with no notice about a week before the notice to do the gas certificate but I was never given a copy. Does this make it invalid?
I have found a new property to move to after going through so much stress being a single mum with top up benefits (I do work) and have asked to leave early as the new place wanted us in by 01/06/2024 through an email on 09/05/2024. The agent replied saying the landlord would let me leave a month early from MY email. When asked what my final payment would be the agent replied it would be from the 13th so I questioned why not the 9th. She said landlord could make me stay the full term if she wanted to. My question is if the section 21 is not valid then can I use my email of the 9th as my 1 month notice as I will have to pay rent in 2 places for 2 weeks.
Wanted to ask about the inventory as I have never seen one let alone signed one since moving in so where do I stand at check out time as my agent keeps referring to it?
Also in 2020 my mum moved out so I had to sign a new tenancy. The dates don’t add up. My original date was 29th of each month but new date was 22nd, the payments have always stayed the same so surely I am owed 7 days rent?
Should I argue this or should I just leave and start my new life in the new place?
Thank you

I would negotiate a bit harder, but you cant really use the s21 failure to your advantage at this point. What about deposit? Have they made any mistakes with that? You could tell them that you cant afford to pay rent in both places, so if they wont release you early you will lose the place and will just have to stay and make them go to court.

I would wait till your out before claiming the weeks rent youre owed.

The deposit is with the DPS which I have checked so at least that is all ok. I did ask them to allow me to leave earlier stating if I don’t get this place then they would have to go down the eviction route and they came back with this answer. They feel letting me leave a week early after living here and looking after the place for 6 years is fair. Basically they don’t care.

After I leave I don’t think they would even answer any of my calls etc to be able to chase for the weeks rent so I’m wanting to deduct it from my final payment, is this allowed to be done? I have the councils backing too which I could mention to them.

what does " I have the councils backing" mean ?

The homelessness team

They support private tenants who are given section 21’s

Good .What advice did they give?

I think youll find that the Councils support evaporates if you dont stay until the bailiffs come.

You would use MCOL to recover your money, so theyd find it difficult to avoid responding.

whats MCOL please…

Money claim on line
You can apply to the courts digitally for recuperation of small amounts
If you google it it will explain it

I would leave things for now because she is doing you a favour, not a very big one! But negotiating harder might make LL say she’s not going to agree to early vacancy with all the extra requests and queries, of course this is not what was agreed but be careful. Yiu do have the right to MCOL. But you may have to at least mention this as otherwise might be seen as agreeing to the missed 7 days payment etc. I’m not legally trained so do research. It might not be worth it because she is doing you a favour however small you may feel it is considering other issues. Do you have the agreement for early vacation in writing? Signed?

Hi All
An interesting discussion- clearly the tenant is in the right here as she is owed a weeks rent due to change in payment date. How does the mechanics of the deposit guarantee scheme work? I am assuming that the landlord can withhold 2 weeks rent from the deposit if it is not paid and she would have to contest it somehow in order to retrieve what she is owed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.