Landlord changed mind a wasted my efforts

So you were actually referenced for this other property as well as being referenced for the property that the landlord has now pulled out of?

You can only sue on the bias of a loss incurred? Have you losted anything ie paid removal men, redirected mail via post office? Is yes you may well win but it is very iffy , as the ll could have found something about you , ie bad credit landlords reference or one small lie !

Iā€™ve read through the whole discussion above, but either Iā€™ve missed some important information or thereā€™s something that really needs to be clarified. Ali33, you said:

Do I understand correctly that you paid Ā£25,000 deposit for the property? This canā€™t be a normal residential property then. The landlord can only ask for a deposit worth 5 weeksā€™ rent, or 6 weeks if your annual rent is over 50k. Thus, your monthly rent would have to be Ā£18k. If thatā€™s true, then I donā€™t think this is the right community to ask, I donā€™t think many of us have experience with this sort of property.

1 Like

You paid 25000 GBP upfront? Is this a typo? Do you mean 250? Surely youā€™ve gotten your money back?

If you signed a lease itā€™s possible you have a leg to stand on to require them to find you alternative accomodations and you may be able to sue for any REASONABLE expenses you incur regarding it. If thatā€™s the case I suggest making another thread stating youā€™ve signed a lease, put down a deposit, now the landlord is refusing to supply the property - and leave out the ā€œabuseā€ nonsense.

If you signed a lease and did put down 25000 GBP, then you can almost certainly sue for a mishandled deposit unless youā€™re renting Buckingham Palace.

If they havenā€™t returned your deposit you can sue them for the deposit back and to cover your (reasonable) legal expenses.

You canā€™t sue for ā€œabuseā€ because there isnā€™t any. Reneging on a promise is not abuse. Itā€™s just poor behavior.

@Colin3 - do you believe that backing out of an agreement is ā€œabusiveā€? Because itā€™s not. Donā€™t validate this ridiculous idea just to grump about being hard done to.

Landlords can and do sue tenants. The main issue is that tenants are less likely to have any assets worth sueing over.

abusing and causing stress was Ali 33 words so I merely quoted them back . Carefully read the first post. I am not hard done to at all Iam at present very very OK

25,000 deposit, come on letā€™s be serious will somebody bring this person back down to earth.
Try Buckingham Palace for a cheaper alternative, i up there goes that elephant again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.