Landlord section 21 notice because I wanted a rent reduction (I am Self Employed)

The landlord only needs to provide one months notice. A section 21 notice is a polite way of asking you to leave. A section 8 would be next which would give you bad credit reference

@Leslie1 Great thinking. I am doing this when I have my small property portfolio :smiley:

Lorraine7,

Iā€™m a landlord and have just this week given a section 21 to my tenant.

His tenancy (AST) was originally to end on 31st Jan 2021, but as the section 21 applies to six months, that effectively is how long he is allowed to stay in the property (April 2021), before I can start legal proceedings. If he does move before the section 21 ends,ie 31st Jan 2021, then the Section 21 falls away.

I think the reason you were given the Section 21, with three months, was because that is what the landlord was required to do at the time, but that has since changed to six months. If you canā€™t find anything, then you stay, the landlord will then, once the section 21 lapses, will be able to start court proceedings against you. Court proceedings take time and cost money. If you can avoid all this, I would actively look for another place to live, you will be much happier, living somewhere you are wanted. You also do not know the circumstances of the landlord

Also note as of June this year, you will no longer be required to pay for an inventory out, cleaning services etc.

If you are in any doubt, please ring the agents you found the property with, they have an obligation to the tenant, inform you of any changes,that the government are making at the moment.

regards

If the landlord is not meeting his obligation, as a landlord, this will be frowned upon in court. As a tenant you have considerable rights.

2 and a half grand rent :crazy_face:

I would say if you were the landlord and this happened to you , what would be your decision.?

Instead of asking for a rent reduction, ask for a rent reduction with a written agreement to repay any reduction in x months. Even offer (in writing to do work for the landlord but get written agreement first) .if it does go to court you are showing reasonability.

The landlord makes decisions which should be based on the signed AST. You may not like their answers because you situ has changed so it may not be the landlord not listening. Just saying.

Also the last thing you want to be is evicted and have that on your credit record etc etc.

Paying any rent is a good thing even if below the rate.
Are you able under your ast to take another person, or use Airbnb income appreciating the risks. Subject, to approval can a friend share with you? If not ask if you can.

At the end of the day and taking emotion out of it. You were taken on the basis and you ability to pay.

Rats are a lifestyle thing and not the landlords responsibility unless they have left a load of rubbish or a Situ which is creating health or safety Problems.

Are there cash or short term extra jobs you could do? There is always work of some description available however menialā€¦

So my advice is look for alternatives you can afford to live with your current means and allow for some reserves to build up to cover periods of uncertainty.

It may sound hard but itā€™s the reality if life Iā€™m afraid.

If your ast expires and you go periodic I believe there are some changes to the law re changed and timings but I would need to confirm that as luckily Iā€™m not in that position to know until needed, as things are quite fluild at present and could change again anytime.

Anyway good luck

Thanks, on my section 21 it says it is valid for 6 months, and I received it on the 31st July.

The Section 21 says ā€œYou are required to leave the below address after 10th Novemberā€

Section 21 notices in England

Due to coronavirus (COVID-19), from 26 March 2020 to 28 August 2020 the minimum Section 21 notice period that you can give to your assured shorthold tenants was 3 months. From 29 August 2020 until at least 31 March 2021 the minimum notice period is 6 months. That means that there must be at least 6 months between the date your tenant receives the notice, and the date after which you specify they must leave the property. You can make a claim for possession in the county court if the tenant has not left by the date specified in the notice. However, if you have agreed with a tenant that a longer notice period will be given, for example if there is a written tenancy agreement that provides for a longer period of notice, that longer period will apply.

The notice is valid for six months which means if you have not gone by 10th November your landlord has until 30th January to apply to the court for a possession order.

Section 21 notices issued with the six month notice period are valid for 10 months (so I believe).

As has already been said your landlord got his notice in before the change in time scales but as someone else said too the courts are busy so if you didnā€™t go there would probably be a big delay in hearing the case.