Landlords - How can I gain your trust?!

Well that is the thing I am willing to pay the 6 months up front and despite that the landlords just don’t budge.

Plus the hospital or the hr does not tell you that. Honestly I find it absurd on the part of landlords that if I’m paying 6 months rent upfront I will also be able to come up with subsequent payments.

That is not a given at all. How does a landlord know your friend didn’t give you the money or you borrowed it from a lender or credit card?

Coming up with 6 months rent is no guarantee at all really.

1 Like

If you want me to I could see if there’s anything in your circumstances that would put a LL off?

1. Are you in the country?
  2. How many people will you support?
  3. What type of property are you looking for?
  4. How much are the rents on properties you are looking for?
  5. Have you started a permanent contract?
  6. How much is your take home pay?
  7. What type of visa do you have?

With this info I could tell you if I would see any red flags.

Per… I know you mean well but we cannot sort out everyones problems for them. No matter what we think, each landlord will have his own preferences

Per thanks for the info the problem is despite the fact that you give LLs all that information its still extremely difficult for new tenants to get properties. I wish the hospital or NHS could act as a guarantor of some sort but they generally don’t do that. Bottom line is that it is not easy, and your potential employer does not give you that information. Im in the country right now in a temporary accommodation that is not cheap at all, I think the onus has to be on the employer to inform the potential employee about these obstacles they face when coming into a new country

I am sorry to hear of your plight .
Thank you for coming over and contributing your service to the NHS especially in this overworked pandemic.
I am sure your colleagues and patients will appreciate you.
Which university is affiliated with the Trust you are working for?
Speak to their accommodation office.
They understand the international market better and will accept you as they take on internationals too.
Contact the local authority. They may have a landlord accredited group and put you in contact with a landlord willing to rent to you.
I take on internationals in your situation as will a lot of student landlords if they have houses to fill if their is a void because of the pandemic and uncertain student situation.
Studentpad may have landlords wanting to fill houses for a vacant academic year.

1 Like

This is heartbreaking about pets + tenants. I’m a 60 year old landlord. I was a tenant for 17 years, before I was able to get on the property ladder. So I know what it is to be a tenant. Like many of my age, my work pension pots crashed (low interest rates), so I’ve had to give up my home to become a landlord. My home is now a tiny flat I live in + a nice little house my tenants enjoy. (Which I can’t afford to live in as that’s my income.)
Over 80% of landlords own one to two rentals, like me, we’ve done it in desperation and lost out homes to become landlords.
I had tenants who “inherited” 2 dogs, months after moving in. The dogs destroyed all my carpets, they chewed up the doors, they dug up the entire garden, and broke fences. They caused over £9,000 damages. It took me 2 years to get it to Court, and I was awarded full damages, but the tenants couldn’t pay. I was on anti depressants for over a year, and my blood pressure became so bad, I had a hypertension crisis which had me ambulanced to hospital for 5 days. Two years of my life were destroyed, with the injustice and stress.
Landlords do not receive 12 months of rent each year. Often we only receive 2 months of each year’s rent. HMRC have removed tax relief for mortgages, they’ve removed tax relief for depreciation, and they’ve removed our deposit protections. Taking tenants to Court is hell on earth, you might prefer to end it all than go through that. Landlord costs are extreme as fees were removed. We must pay Inventories, contracts, data protection, checks, insurance, maintenance, management, the list goes on. If we have a small mortgage we might not actually receive any rent. Especially if the property is empty for any period of time without income.
As a former tenant myself of 17 years, and a big dog and cat lover, I wish I could advise. We are all being strangled by the Government, they are in control of all of us now. Their tampering has destroyed our lives.
I wish you luck from my heart.

4 Likes

absolutely no pets. ( wait for it)

This is so interesting. I never knew that this was a situation for landlords.

I think it’s easy to just see the big millionaire landlords and feel hard done by so this is interesting.

I’ve found a spot and I cannot wait.

I do think there are a lot of really irresponsible pet owners. I offer giving a second security deposit to any landlord.

What I have, and shared to get the place I’ve landed, is a reference from my past landlord (and neighbours) directly related to the dogs… I’d like to think it gives added reassurance.

I don’t doubt that you are probably a very reliable tenant. However in my 20 odd years as a landlord I have let properties to some people who have had amazing references and seem very clean and sometimes I have been let down, on the flipside I have also rented to tenants who I have had some reservations about but I’ve proved to be the perfect tenant. It’s just impossible to work out who the good guys are so with the added complication of a pet I just don’t want to take the risk.

I have also rented to one very clean looking woman, on a good income, with a very small dog that looked very well looked after, well groomed. I just got a good feeling about her. She had glowing references from her previous landlord even though she had the dog and his reference mentioned he had no issues with the dog. When she vacated my property after a year or so, it seemed spotless. However once the heating was switched on the new tenant complained of a smell of ‘dog’ and dog urine. I am sure the tenant with the dog was not aware of the problem as most people with dogs become ‘nose blind’. The carpets had to be replaced.

Another experience I had in my early days as the landlord was taking pity on a woman who had an old cat. In the contract I said she was allowed to have the one cat and we agreed that when the cat died no more pets. She has now got four cats and the house is filthy and stinks of cats! I dread to think how much it is going to cost me to sort it out when she moves out!

The other issue of course is that once the tenant with the animal gives you notice, there is no point in getting people to view the property while they are still there, because if potential tenants see a pet, and especially if there was a smell, ( which 99% of the time there will be) they will not rent the property. Then you have to wait until they have vacated the property so you can organise either cleaning or new carpets or both. This can take a few weeks to get organised. Only then can you do viewing, this will take a week or more finding the right tenant. Then you will find your new tenant is on a months notice.
By then you’ve probably missed out on at least 2-3 months rent minimum.

Without the complication of pets and because the market is so buoyant I rarely have more than a week between tenants because I make sure I get the right tenants and check they will allow me to do viewings before they move out.

Sadly people with pets need to realise that for many landlords this is like a job, it is their only income that they rely on to live . Taking the risk of having a pet in your property is a bit like taking up employment on an agreed and legally binding salary, and then being told your employer might have to claw back £2000-£3000 from you because of no fault of your own. You would have to be mad to take on a job like that but that is basically what you’re doing if you allow a tenant to have a pet.

So while I sympathise with you, I believe that this situation has come about because of the never-ending legislation that works against landlords ( because we cannot take a pet bond ) and as a consequence works against tenants because the landlords need to maximise their investment.

The only way I can see around it is if you offer a potential landlord an extra £10 or so per week as rent and sign a minimum two-year contract then at least he has got £1000 in hand in case of any damage.

3 Likes

Paying extra weekly rent sounds a good idea. It won’t work giving extra deposit, because the Government has stopped landlords from holding more than 5 weeks’ deposit. So - if a landlord did take your extra deposit, and needed to claim against it, they wouldn’t be legally allowed to. The Government have basically caused a very, very serious problem for everyone.

The vast issue here is that many landlords are now losing money. We simply do not receive the tenant’s rent. It’s all being taken away from us. Here are some of the costs a landlord suffers, we simply do not receive the rent any more:

• Tax on rent, has increased vastly across the past 3 years.
  • Landlords barely receive anything towards our costs. The Government has been removing all help for anything, Mortgage tax relief has been removed. Depreciation (bathroom etc going down in value needing replacement) tax relief/ support has been removed. Maintenance costs have been mostly removed,
  • Tenant move-in fees have been removed from us. So we must pay for Inventories, check-ins, referencing, advertising, and spend up to 4 weeks of work moving a tenant in. Then the same all over again moving them out. For working landlords, that’s weeks of salary lost doing it all.
  • Insurance costs have leaped up. Basically because tenants cause so much damage.
  • Mortgage costs for landlords have increased vastly. Landlords must pay higher mortgage rates than normal buyers, that’s because mortgage companies see tenants as high risk.
  • Data protection costs, another new cost because we hold tenant info.
  • Gas + electricity tests. New laws have forced higher costs onto landlords.
  • The 5 week deposit cap, has forced higher costs onto landlords, because many tenants cause greater damages than 5 weeks rent, or they try to spend their deposit by not paying their last month’s rent, so the landlord has nothing. So landlord costs have increased.
  • Above has caused landlords to be more careful, and many good tenants now get wrongly excluded as landlords all live in fear. For many landlords, this can mean a property being empty for long periods in between tenants, while landlords turn people away in fear. That means long periods with no rent, which loses money for the landlord. Especially when we have a large mortgage we must pay whatever happens.
  • Service charges have all increased. Flats all have service charges, and surprise bills for £ thousands can occur. Landlords have no control over this.
  • Management costs: many estate agents have increase their fees. One London estate agent is charging 17% of the rent every month.
  • Every time a new tenant is found, it can cost the landlord a month+ of rent, to the estate agent, for finding that tenant.
  • The costs never stop for a landlord. Or the work. Or the stress and fear. It’s a petrifying thing having strangers living in a home we’ve spent out entire lives working, to pay for. And most landlords also have a huge mortgage which wipes out any profit at all.
  • When the landlord sells the property, we don’t even get the profit any more. We’re taxed heavily on the profit.
  • Landlords are also taxed very heavily when they buy a rental property. Just look at the stamp duty tax for a landlord, compared to a normal buyer. It can take a landlord years - literally - years to recover any of that stamp duty tax through rent. Indeed, we may never, ever get that tax back from rent. So we’re losing all the way.
  • Thank God I currently have wonderful tenants in my rental. Thank God. But even so, they’ve called me for 7 lots of repairs and work in the past 9 weeks. One problem was a small leak they didn’t tell me about for 3 days, so it became a huge leak, and just cost me £ 875. These good tenants have been in that rental for 6 months, and the costs so far mean that I have not received one single penny of their rent.

How can any landlord ever make money from rent? This is the challenge. And it’s the great tenants (who we desperately need and value) who lose out, aswell as us.

The Government is destroying the rental market for everyone. It’s the tax + the landlord costs + the legislation. And if landlords can’t earn any profit, the rents must increase. Or we must sell up. So the available rentals disappear, and what then?

Wonderful tenants want to earn trust, and thank God for tenants like you. But this isn’t even about good tenants, it’s about the fact that landlords are being crucified financially + legislatively. And it hurts us. Really badly. The price of being a landlord is often agony.

3 Likes

sell up and do a different job . I am a landlord and have 3 strings to my bow

1 Like

To be fair, Openrent can help with reducing many of those costs, and also the choice of property you invest in. If you invest in somewhere relatively local to you so that it isn’t a big deal if you have to go and visit, and in an area where there are good tenants available, and use Openrent to eliminate management fees, then it is still better than the zero % interest you get from a bank. Also, whereas buy to let is hard for all the reasons you mention above, the fact is that many investors use cash and in those cases it is still a good investment, particularly due to the fact that property has a built-in guard against inflation.

1 Like