My flat has no ventilation HELP

I do understand about condensation, damp and mould, though In my rental property is in the bedroom mainly due to no ventilation, confirmed by my landlord. He told me to wash the walls with warm water and bleach mix, then to keep the radiator on at number 16 all the time, and to open the window now and then to circulate the air. I have washed the walls, I can open the window but having the radiator on all the time is not suitable cause of the cost. In the Livingroom if I have the heating on 24/7, along with my other electricity consumption it’s over £10 a day on my PAYG smart meter, which I can’t afford. I don’t use the bedroom cause I felt it was effecting my breathing a little bit, difficult to sleep, and was worried my clothes may end up damaged. So I just sleep in my living room on a mattress on the floor, clothes all over the sofas. To cap it off I get an infestation of slugs on my kitchen at night and a few in my bathroom, creepy little things.
Does my flat sound unliveable???
I want to move ASAP but find it extremely difficult to find somewhere that accepts Universal credit housing element mainly for rent, apart from that all my Bills are always paid on time!! I’m looking long term, some where I feel comfortable my elderly mother visiting, it’s not alot to ask. I’m in Falkirk area Central SCOTLAND anywhere between here and Perth I’ll consider.
Thanks guys.

Joe

Instead of opening the window which in cold weather with the heating on will exacerbate the problem .
Why don’t you get a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture
There are electric ones but also salts in a plastic tub which soak up moisture

2 Likes

Hi, yes my landlord mentioned a dehumidifier, he said he had one, but his friends In the Highlands has it it may take a while for him to get back, I have had a look on dehumidifiers, they are fairly expensive for one the size to Benifit my bedroom for some one on low income such as me, and a dehumidifier from what I believe needs to be on 24/7, I do understand it’s cheaper than the radiator to run, but it’s still the cost. I only heat one room at a room, the room I’m using or going to use, makes sense.

Salts in a tub I’ll look into that, but to be honest there should be ventilation though I don’t want to get my landlord in any trouble cause I like him.

I understand that money is in short supply. Please ask your LL politely and in writing if they could purchase a dehumidifier for you and also some slug pellets. They may say no but I don’t think that it is an unreasonable request given the situation. Use the slug pellets consistently until the situation is resolved. Washing the walls is adding water/damp. The dehumidifier is a very sensible option. I’ve no idea how big the room is but it should be possible to get a dehumidifier for about £135. Smaller ones are less. In addition do not dry clothes indoors, when cooking keep the lid on and make sure the bathroom extractor is working well. Good Luck.

2 Likes

Every morning, use a hand towel to wipe down the inside of your windows and window sills. They’ll attract a lot of the moisture from your breath at night. Dry this towel on the radiator in the bathroom if you can’t hang it to dry outside.

Then open a couple of windows to get some airflow through the property for 15 to 30 mins each morning.

3 Likes

Unibond moisture absorber from screwfix is under £10
If you look up dehumidifier salts on the internet there are loads

I used them when I was a student decades ago before we had or I could afford a dehumidifier!

1 Like

The landlord association has a leaflet as do most councils on how to deal with damp and mould

Leaving a window open with heat on creates condensation at that point and you will get mould around the reveal

We have PIV units in our houses but where the tenant has windows open in winter mould will occur around the reveal !

You can buy anti fungal agent
Cilit bang is the best one that my tenants have recommended

Thanks for advice, my landlord is a nice man and has helped me many times In The past going beyond the call of duty when he did not have to. I have said to him about this, he has said he will get a dehumidifier but it may take awhile to get the one he owns back from his friend who lives miles away, though I believe it is a good sized one which will benefit my bedroom. He is very busy I gather as had more than 1 job as well as owning property to let.
I do clean round window frames etc, and where black dots appear, I’m not lazy as such but find constantly cleaning the areas in question a chore, the bathroom has no ventilation or windows,neither does the kitchen have a vent. I have not noticed black patches in bathroom and the kitchen I think it may have special paint to prevent condensation, damp, mould. I have a tumble dryer in my kitchen, it is small but I have to open the window when dryer is on, there is no air pipe to direct the condensation and air from my dryer out the window and no space round the dryer etc to fit One. I do have to wipe round all the windows apart from the kitchen but it looks like a newer window in the kitchen rather than the other windows. When my flat has no heating on its as cold as out side. To be honest I’ve never experienced living conditions such as this, and I’ve been around, but I as much as things seem a struggle and not ideal I am getting by. At least my cooker and fridge freezer work, and washing machine, and dryer. Unfortunately I don’t have a garden or anywhere to dry my clothes out doors. So I end up traveling for an hour on public transport to my mothers to wash my most delicate clothes and dry correctly with out damaging them. I feel as though, damp, condensation and certainly mould may damage some of my belongings. I will get salt pellets for the slugs. I actually live with a serious mental health condition, which I no is not my landlords fault or anyone else’s, though it’s not my fault neither, that’s why I find some things a chore but I do wash clean and tidy if I make a mess.
Apart from all the above that is just indoors, the area and environment my flat is situated in is awash with drugs, dealers and alcoholics who are quite harrassing when offering to sell u unwanted drugs of begging for spare change for a can or fix. All in all it had not been. A great move in the past 16 months, if I could move, I would in a flash, if the location nice enough I feel comfortable my elderly mother travelling to by public transport and walking about Is good and
Property has no damp and has ventilation and secure. I would quite possibly bite your hand off. I am thinking long term.

Is no ventilation actually habitable ?

1 Like

Hi neelix
I have read up on this although I have asked for advice when reaching out to many different places, but recieved no concrete information,1 reason a flat may be not up to living standards is if there is no ventilation, or no heating or both, there are other reasons to why a property may not meet the criteria for some one to live in, such as if you require a certain health care that is not available In the area you live. Or the area and environment it is in is deteriorating your health even more. For any of these reasons you needed a letter from somewhere official as evidence for the council housing to gain extra points to support and move forward with my council housing applications. But I find going down the home not havbitable route not really beneficial as I quite like my landlord and believe he likes me, I don’t want to rock the boat with my landlord in case he falls out with me, and I. Turn evicts me, in that case I may end up in homeless accommodation which I may get a council tenancy quicker but they can offer me a tenency in any area, not just my chosen areas. I could then quite possibly end up evicted from my private let, and offered a council house area, that could be even worse for my wellbeing than now, maybe not damp etc. but in an area I don’t feel comfortable going out and about. I would be isolated even more. And still not feeling comfortable with my elderly mum visiting. When I mentioned to my health care professional about letters as evidence now I no they can do it, but they seem to stall, I understand they have more important things to deal with people who are seriously more sick than me, some times I feel like the health care professionals in my area don’t quite take something’s as serious as they should. So have found it near impossible to get a letter that way. To be honest I’m starting to find my situation quite stressful, I’ll probably take a break from reaching out and applying for properties since no one seems to take a guy with a mental health condition very serious well I never asked for a mental health condition, if i could work like I used to I certainly would. Just typing this I feel like I need a brake for a couple of days. I’ll probably continue on Monday. Thanks for your advice

Joe

In future I shall be checking for ventilation, condensation, damp, mould, working heaters all through the property. Though it’s difficult to tell if there will be an infestation of slugs at night time. And the area and location, even though I don’t know what street In What area is better or what not, I’ll be looking for sought for locations, with in a reasonable price, or property close to family or friends who recommend a certain area. And any health care would be better than now. If anything the health care alone is a big factor in me needing a move asap. To be perfectly honest I don’t know how I survived the last 16 months. I look as though I’ve aged 20 years. But I suppose I’ll get by, well I need to, for supporting my elderly mother on her retirement and her Me in a way, only by letting me stay with her a couple nights a week to recover from living in the area and accommodation I currently rent. Sad reading I no, but true and looks like nothing I can do.
Thanks

Joe

Bleach does not kill mould on porous surfaces and will return quickly. White vinegar is better at killing the roots.

1 Like

Keep the place heated to at least 15°c all day. This will stop condensation and mould. Takes a few days to warm the whole property but after that you should be ok.
Slugs were getting into my kitchen through a uPVC door that even a draught couldn’t get through. I put a bit of salt in the frame which seems to put them off.

HI Joseph - really difficult to comment properly without seeing the property you live in.

But here is a few comments.

Slugs can get into any property - they have a good homing ability so even after removal can usually find their way back - so they need to be killed. Salt where they enter or slug pellets are usually the best cure. The irony is that more ventilation usually provides them more access.
A tumble drier or washer drier without an outside vent will always cause massive condensation and damp.

Its the same with drying clothes on radiators - that water doesn’t disappear - it does into the air and condenses on walls and windows and your stuff

An extractor fan or ventilation can help - but of course as they remove warm (moist) air from your property and replace it with air from outside they will push up you heating bills. NO avoiding that. (basic physic lesson warm air can hold more moisture than cold air which is why where warm air hits a cold surface it cools and moisture comes out as condensation and damp.

Of course damp come from other reasons - like plumbing leaks - faulty damp proof course (damp rising from ground level) or a leaking roof or gutter etc. If it these things it is the landlords job to repair it.

A room also needs some ventilation but this is where with older properties it gets tricky. The more you seal drafts and decrease heating costs the more you decrease ventilation - and the more you improve ventilation the more expensive the property is to heat in cold weather.

For example I have on property which is a historic listed building split into flats. EPC inspections have suggested I add more insultation but external insulation is not allowed (Grade 2 listed and in a conservation area) internal insulation is difficult (it will reduce tenants room space which they object to) and is likely to create relative cold spots around sash windows which I can’t upgrade due to listed building and conservation area regs ! I try to be compliant but to be honest it is hard to find the right balance and advice from the different council teams is not consistent !

I think from what you write MAYBE you could benefit from an extractor fan but be aware I don’t know your property and it wil increase your heating costs.

Best of luck - in the mean time wipe down as much as you can - bleach kills mould and in between white vinegar diluted have and half as a wife spray will prevent it .

Black mould is almost always due to condensation and is treated by wiping down ventilation and adequate heating and can often be sorted by the tenant - visible white mould bodies or other colours are often due to some sort of water penetration and often need more serious intervention by the landlord.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Mark107
Yeah I understand salt kills slugs I have salted a few but it’s impossible to tell exactly where they come from there is quite a few at times. Unless I pour salt everywhere I’m not sure how I can tell where they are coming from, I do have a dryer and no outside ventilation, there is no damp condensation or mould noticeable in my kitchen.
As for drying clothes I did initially start drying them in the bedroom that is where the main issue of damp, condensation leading mould is but the room was to cold and to heat 2 rooms all day is far to expensive. So I use the dryer and any clothes that are delic inate and I can’t put in dryer I do at my mum’s, an hour travel away.
There is no extract fan or ventilation I don’t think it’s possible or cost efficient for me to fit this myself or for my landlord or there would be extraction or ventilation already.
There is obvious plumbing leeks in the bathroom on behind the toilet and bath.
I do wipe down walls window frames and any where is black patches and condensation or dampness but after doing that for many months it really has an effect on your wellbeing and I’m my case a major negative impact on my mental health condition.
To be perfectly honest I don’t see how it’s the tenants job to get ventilation fitted I do wipe away dampness and condensation as any normal person would, but again it’s giving me more chores and house work to do not I’m lazy though. Some one mentioned having the heating on 15 or 16, I can’t afford to have heating on in a room I am not using at the time. I Judy have heating on in the room I am using. If I have the heating on In the bedroom for 24 hour along with other fuel consumption it costs over £10 a day. Now that’s is causing me the tenant excess spending of funds I can’t afford. I can afford up heat my home to keep me warm, as that is quite a normal thing, but to heat a room to treat dampness and condensation is not cost efficient for anyone never mind some one on low income, I will however put the heating on from 00.30 till 07.30 as the electricity tarrif is cheaper snd see how it goes but i can’t afford to do that ever night. Even after wiping of walls window frames to wipe the damp and condensation or mould and heating and opening windows to circulate the air. There is no ventilation m8 so the damp and condensation or mould just comes back, I don’t think it’s right that I should be eradicating damp, condensation and mould all the time as my rent is paid always etc. it seems from any landlords point of view, the tenant should be ok to do this, but realistically its not ok, and really should be up to the landlord after all he owns the property and it is not damaged by me personally but due to no ventilation and it’s effects over time. I was not told there was no ventilation when I moved in, there was no sign of damp or condensation. He had probably cleaned away the damp condensation etc and painted so no way to see. Now I do like my landlord and understand about the cost involved to him, I just feel not just my landlord but in general from reading on here and online most landlords will make excuses and try get the tenants to sort out all this, if there was adequate ventilation it may not have condensation and damp leading to mould. Or it may still be there. If the issue is on going it certainly is not any fault of the tenant and should not fall on the tenants hands. I understand what you are saying though m8 and I very much appreciated your information. Have a good day.
Joe

From another blog, there may be a solution here for all parties

Over 80% of so-called damp in Flats houses are Tenant lead. Fact. Drying clothes indoors, on Clothes horses or radiators creates condensation, bath washing again causes condensation, showering causes condensation but in this case it can be reduced if wiping the shower wall and doors down to reduce the amount of water that is going to evaporate into the air. Cooking in the kitchen, gas appliances, animals, every human produces a certain amount of humidity into the room or property, approx a pint and a half per day but will stand corrected on that number in cold weather, Variations in weather will cause condensation on the windows if not properly ventilated or wipe down daily, or add temperature differences.

All of this causes condensation in the property so you have a combination of tenancy lead Contribution and weather.

Add in the lack of ventilation in the property due to either of the tenant not opening not just a window but windows on either side of the property to cause an airflow, no or inadequate ventilation in the bathroom, shower room if applicable and kitchen due to inadequate extractor fans or none at all, and the issue is compounded.

Cavity wall double glazing, trickle vents and roofing insulation all help to keep heating cost down, but that does not obviate the need for ventilation.

Then you consider the type of building, sometimes there are issues of damp and this can be addressed in the appropriate manner by the owner of the property, the council have some cheek in saying that landlords are bad when the council doesn’t even look after their own stock as recently approved by the number of payout out Compensation Payments having to make, as they are not always mandated by the same legislation with some exemption .

So back to your problem, Opening a window in one place isn’t the solution opening multiple windows to allow an airflow significantly improves airflow in the property. You haven’t stated whether you have fans in your kitchen or your bathroom. For both you need fans that run on after you turn the light off as this continues to extract humidity. The better ones are humidistat extractors which work on the level of humidity in a room and function full-time, when humidity levels are high they’re not an expensive thing to run. Alternatively there are full flow air systems which constantly change the air in the system again running on pence. There is a system on the market, forgive me, I forget the name of it, it’s used commonly in Europe, where it produces frequencies that actually hold back water in a property, I know that sounds bizarre but it works in the most damp of places. I’ve seen this myself in action and it’s very good, maybe a bit of googling will help.

If you do any of the items as suggested in the first paragraph I suggest during wet periods which I appreciate is very difficult that you put items in the bathroom and close the door open the windows, or close the windows put in a dehumidifier and it will dry not only the room, but also the clothes reducing Humidity the rest of the property which would’ve transferred naturally

You asked why your bedroom was getting mouldy the simple answer is the transference of humidity. Humidity in the air will go to the coldest point in the property and will transfer from areas where the humidity is being generated i.e. the kitchen bathroom this is a common occurrence. If you are also sleeping in the bedroom, then the humidity you produce will add to this . You can reduce, not stop the amount of condensation by closing the bathroom doors at all times. Of course that means you need to ventilate the bathroom or the offending humidity area.

Referring to the council will not solve your problem they will come to say it the landlord’s fault.

Therefore, the options are;

1 Reduce. The tenant contributions.
2 Ensure that the electric fans are working in the bathroom and kitchen and that you have run-on fans to continue extracting the humidity for at least 10 minutes. And the doors are closed as this is an action.
3 Work with your landlord showing that you have done the above as this will help the landlord to identify Where the real issue is If not the above. Remember North walls are the worst in every property.
4 Appreciating you have to dry clothes and it’s not practical outside When you have the option of using a Laundrette or a specialised tumble dryer, if you have space or a dehumidifier in the bathroom as suggested.
5 when you have exhausted all of the above if you and the landlord agree to evaluate whether there is a contribution and what actions needs to be taken. You may reduce significantly you may never reduce all of it, but it may come to an acceptable level due to your way of life accommodation of factors
6 You have the option as you say you have a health problem to move out. You don’t have to stay in the property. No financial reason justifies your health being affected…

I have many years experience of working with tenants and landlords to identify, reduce or eliminate so-called damp or condensation in properties.

The above I would suggest would significantly aid reduction in any property.

My final point is always clean any mould appearing, it matters not how many times this is done, there are mould reducing spray, specialist paints, bleach if used appropriately and in the right volumes, so there is never an excuse in leaving mould appearing on the wall.

Wipe the walls down before the humidity arrives, and in a bizarre way you’re getting your daily exercise .

And as one landlord has said, it may have been Colin who is a major contributor, you look as though you’re going to go to the Council anyway. When the above will significantly help you resolve the issue.

It’s quite bizarre really when you look at the number of landlords who rent their own property and who truthfully don’t have an issue when they use the property themselves because it’s their own they take more care.

Good landlords Landlords will go through the above As a way of working with the tenant to build lasting and long tenancies together with a good relationship. That’s the way the PRS should work.

But as they say, it takes 2 to tango and you need good tenants to work with landlords