My rights after being served s21

Hi bare with me as its quite complex.

So me and my ex had a joint tenancy, as our relationship ended, we both tried getting the house from eachother, just so he did not need to listen to us, and stress. He served us both individual but jointly the same s21 to vacate the property by 19th jan.

My ex became unbearable to live with i could deal with it but not my 10yr old daughter.

I eventually found a property but i had to be careful how i left as to not be seen as intensionly making myself homeless.

As to not be stuck there after her and have to fix things her and hwr kids break or remove furniture i got the landlord to draft a letter up stating i am giving up the tenancy early due to domestic abuse. And a house was available.

I gave my notice on the 1/12/23 I was awaiting him ringing me after the 19th when she would bw gone. As we needee to look over the property and agree,discuss the release of my half of the bond that was placed with the deposit protection service i received nothing and i found out through her eldest son that she had been given a single tenancy even though we both asked for it.

Still no email to say i am no longer a tenant and responsible for rent bills upkeap.

I logged on the openrent account and i am still very much on the tenancy apart from.she has been isssued a new tenancy starting dec 23.

Also the garantor is still on it even though she asked to be removed when the tenancy ended. Am i right in thinking that the joint tenancy should of been finalised then deposits returned to both tenants then if she can have the house new tenancy drawn up references checked affordability and me just received my deposit back.

But i asked him my supirt worker begged him saying they would cover the rent as i had a young child at a school around the corner, also i am registered disabled but still he said to both of us that he is the lanlords agent then got back to us and said he cannot favour either of us as the other one could file a lawsuit as its not fair and definitely not legal.

I have contacted the landlord that i have requested to end the tenancy seen as though he never did it and for him to release my half of the deposit as he already agreed to me leaving early.

How can he do this legaly.

Appreciate any advise.

Thank.You

Ben.

I can’t follow this but I do know that if you rented via OpenRent then the deposit is in a tenant deposit scheme which OR have no control. However the LL has to instruct the scheme to release deposit. You then get an email from scheme asking you to confirm which you need to reply to before they send the money. I had tenants complaining they never got the deposit but it was because they never replied to the email.

I can’t follow it either, but if your landlord has given your ex a new individual tenancy, then they can’t now try to say that your tenancy is still active or they will have two tenancies running at the same time on the property. I wouldn’t worry too much, but just get them to amend the status with Openrent and to write to you formally to confirm all this.